A couple pics from last Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This is a shot I took last Sunday on a dive off Sam’s boat. Although the seas cooperated, the vis was low so I was glad I had decided to shoot close up stuff with the 60mm macro. During rig assembly the morning of the dive I could not get the twin strobes working (will troubleshoot this later) but could get a single strobe to function. The plan was two drift dives off the third reef south of Port Everglades and Sam and Ryan were hunting bugs. They were not about to wait around for a loitering camera bug. In order to keep up I have developed a strategy over the years I call “click and kick.”

On the second dive I come across a huge green moray. Unfortunately he was ensconced in a hole in the reef ledge being cleaned by some gobys and there was no way I was going to disturb him or tease him out of the hole. He let the camera port get close but there was no way I could get full strobe coverage because the port filled most of the hole and the reef blocked the strobe. I also had to set the distance by focus on a brighter portion of the reef outside of the hole and hope I guessed right (trying to focus on the eel in low light had the lens hunting all over the place). I snapped off about 6 shots and then had to go hunt down my buddies who had moved down the reef and out of sight.

I thought I was going have to trash the shots but a couple showed promise when I downloaded them this week. With the unusual lighting and a some Photoshop work I thought the following image was kind of interesting and I wanted to share it.

—Bob

MorayInHole.jpg

This is a shot of a juvie Spotted Drum that didn't give me a second thought. Even with click and kick I had the chance to get off several shots and about 3 keepers. This is one of them.

Drum.jpg

Bob;

Beautiful pictures. I love the shot of the Moray. You should blow that one up and frame it.

A lot of times when I dive off Boca or anything North of Boca Inlet, I get that 10 feet or so of ugly crud coming out ot the intercoastal. But once below 15 feet it usually clears up nicely.

South of Boca inlet, the surface visability is usually better.

TOM

The the shot of the Moray is awesome. If they ever do a remake of The Deep, it would be a great poster background.

The Moray gets a 10! one of the best moray shots I have seen!

The moray definitely looks like something out of a sci/fi or horror flick. Both are fantastic pictures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom