A couple of random but specific questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms. Ann Thrope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1. We've been to Cozumel in the fall, in the winter, in the summer--many times. I'm not sure we've ever been in early April, which is our next scheduled trip. FAQs and various sites lead me to think the water temp should be 80-82F. Generally, specifically true? Trying to decide/justify whether I should pop for a LavaCore rather than wearing either the Lycra skin that I can tolerate (though not always perfectly happily) in December or the tatty faded-neon pink Polartech that seemed so stylin' in the early '90s but is borderline embarrassing now.

2. What goes on at that other plaza, the one that appears to be at about 20th and Ave. Xel Ha/17th S? From terrain maps, it looks like it's set up well for entertainment/bands. Just wondering if we should be checking it out on some weekend evening. I know the main waterfront square is all torn up (how's it doing??), and it seems the last few times we've been there, there hasn't been much live music on Sunday nights anyhow. (Fridays or Saturdays seemed better the last couple of trips.)

3. We're staying downtown. We've done this before, but this time we might want to do some beach basking. I'm not so sure I want to go all the way to Mr. Sancho's or some big place (also, I hate seeing an iguana in a diaper). I remember walking by a couple of casual-looking little beachy/palapa restaurant-type places just north of the airport road. Are they generally pleasant, low-key places to hang out for a couple of hours to catch some sun?

4. We haven't driven to the Punta Sur lighthouse in probably 20 years. This year we might. I'm reading variously that the road is "much-improved" and kidney-shattering. If we went, I'd want to see if we could make it to the beach that appears to be pretty close to Columbia Shallows. Doable in your average Isis rental car? Worth it?

That's it for now. Thanks!

4. We haven't driven to the Punta Sur lighthouse in probably 20 years. This year we might. I'm reading variously that the road is "much-improved" and kidney-shattering. If we went, I'd want to see if we could make it to the beach that appears to be pretty close to Columbia Shallows. Doable in your average Isis rental car? Worth it?

You won't recognize it. There's a park there now with admission prices and a paved road. I haven't been there.

Use the right arrow to see the other photos. I think the building in this one is the Love Cafe or something similarly named. These cover the beach like area from there north to the entrance to the air force base.

https://picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/WaterfrontPhotos#5574068567637013234

I don't remember the road into Punta Sur being all that bad but when I was there you had to take a truck (it was free) from the lighthouse to the beach. From what I've read you can take your car now and although a bit bumpy it wasn't bad as such. The beach is quite nice but I'm not sure I'd pay just to visit the beach.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Snorkeling at...

As to question no. 4, a LOT has changed at the Punta Sur Lighthouse in the last 20 years. I remember renting a jeep in the early 1990s and driving down that sand pathway (calling it a road is like referring to a drainage ditch as a river) at about 5 mph, trying to avoid the pot holes deep enough to stop a tank. Now, it is all part of Punta Sur National Park, an ecological preserve. It will cost you $14 US per person to enter at the gate, the road is paved, with parking near the Lighthouse. There are a number of activities, including boat tours through the mangrove swamps where you can see the crocodiles, and snorkeling at the Columbia Beach. Google search Punta Sur Park Cozumel and you can see the website for the park, with a map and list of activities. Worth doing once, IMO.

Yeah, I've looked at the official Punta Sur website, TripAdvisor reviews, etc. And I'm sure I won't recognize it. When we were there in the early '90s, we did the same as DJDiverDan, a slow drive in a jeep, and I think there were maybe one or two Navy guys just sort of hanging out, and, of course, it was free. But if the mangrove boat tour stuff is interesting beyond getting a crocodile pointed out to us, and I can spend as much time as I want snorkeling Columbia Shallows (it seems the actual dives are never long enough, even when they're well over an hour), it might be more or less worth it. But if it's crowded with masses of cruise-ship people, maybe less so.

The area you snorkel isn't Colombia Shallows (which is my favorite dive). It's just a strip of reef well out from shore that runs parallel for a few hundred yards. I did it twice the day I shot my album photos.

Cicopo--thanks for that. From the maps, it looked like Columbia Shallows might be accessible from shore, and I know we've had dives there where snorkelers were above us. I just assumed. It's among my favorite dives too--and maybe it's best it's too far to snorkel from shore! I remember going to Yalku lagoon in Akumal in the early '90s, when the only official thing about it was some Mayan guy who would practically sniff you to make sure you had no cosmetics or lotions on you to foul the water. We went back about 10 years ago, and it seemed pretty much trashed from busloads of (presumably oily) visitors.

I believe the beach club by the airport road is now Caribbean Sunset, formerly Love Cafe. My sister in law took the kids snorkeling there and said it was good.

1. yes, 80ish for water temps in April. I dive with a 3mil full suit, April-May yearly. Usually donning a short sleeve rash shirt under my suit for the second dive, especially after diving for a few days when it's easier to get a chill.

2. dunno. There are a LOT of small parks and recreational parks dotted all over the interior of San Miguel. Never been to this particular one in the evening, so not sure what happens there.

3. locals hang out at these beaches, seem nice enough. Buccanos Day beach is much closer to town than Mr. Sanchos, located in the Northern Hotel zone.

4. dunno, never been to Punta Sur Park.

3. locals hang out at these beaches, seem nice enough. Buccanos Day beach is much closer to town than Mr. Sanchos, located in the Northern Hotel zone.

I am not really a beach club guy, but I do like Buccanos alot. FINALLY hit it at night. It is as good as has been reported.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom