A couple of fish ID questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am trying to catalog some old photos, does anyone happen to know what the following 2 photos are? I thought maybe a twinhorn blenny (doesn't look like a secretary blenny or a spinyhead blenny), but not remotely sure. The other one is possibly a juvenile peacock flounder, but I thought I had ID'd one of these a year or two ago and that doesn't sound right. I found a near identical picture on the internet labeled juvenile peacock flounder, but don't know if the poster was certain or just guessing. These were both in smugfolder I posted earlier in the week so nothing new as far as photos, just trying to put some keywords so I can find them if I need them (we will see if this keyword habit lasts)
DSC00318.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

does anyone happen to know what the following 2 photos are?
Blenny and flounder. Beyond that, dunno. :p I really just wanted to take a moment to say that I always GREATLY enjoy your pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share!

I am trying to catalog some old photos, does anyone happen to know what the following 2 photos are? I thought maybe a twinhorn blenny (doesn't look like a secretary blenny or a spinyhead blenny), but not remotely sure. The other one is possibly a juvenile peacock flounder, but I thought I had ID'd one of these a year or two ago and that doesn't sound right. I found a near identical picture on the internet labeled juvenile peacock flounder, but don't know if the poster was certain or just guessing. These were both in smugfolder I posted earlier in the week so nothing new as far as photos, just trying to put some keywords so I can find them if I need them (we will see if this keyword habit lasts) View attachment 731267

View attachment 731268
To me the blenny looks like a Sailfin Blenny, because the cirri are straight and singular. The flounder actually looks more like a Sole than flounder but with the sand on top of it, its tough to really see any kind of coloring, stripes or bars. The smaller soles even with good images are very difficult to tell apart.

To me the blenny looks like a Sailfin Blenny, because the cirri are straight and singular.
Agree. In addition, the cirri have the alternating bands.
The flounder actually looks more like a Sole than flounder but with the sand on top of it, its tough to really see any kind of coloring, stripes or bars. The smaller soles even with good images are very difficult to tell apart.
Yes, possibly a lined sole.

Thank you for the compliment @inquisit . Thanks @Pipehorse and @tursiops for the fishID help. You are definitely correct on the sailfin blenny. I should have realized that was missing from the options I was considering. That was about 20 pages away in my fishID book from the other blennies I usually see here.

The other fish likely is some sort of sole as you noted, I found a different picture of the same species from last year and am including it below if that helps anyone (including @tursiops or @Pipehorse ) pin it down.

DSC07670.jpg

Not sure about the blenny but I've taken photos of Lined Sole in Coz. That would be my best guess.
They are tiny, maybe a couple inches in length. I have it in a thread somewhere here.

Edit: Found the thread: Sighted in Cozumel - what is it?

Back
Top Bottom