Trip Report Cozumel Diving March 27-29, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few photos and update from 3 days diving and one night dive March 27-29. I did not get to dive more since the boat was full with friends in a group that came down and there was a full boat. Capacity is still limited by percentage. I dove with Raul and Bottom Time Divers. One day he brought pastries for the SI. Several of the group wanted to do 3 to 4 tanks a day especially due to port closures due to winds earlier in the week.

Water temps were consistently 79 F. An occasional 78 F on my computer. Colder than February by a degree.
Weather was a little windy my first day and we had south winds earlier in the week.
Visibility was down a bit at southern sites but got better as the days progressed.
Very slow currents even on Tormentos.
Dive time averaged 68 minutes for my dives from Palancar to Tormentos.
The first two days I used wide angle lens and a zoom lens for the rest. On the second day on a dive, both strobes stopped firing. I had to restart strobes and camera and reseat all fiber cables to get it working again. Naturally we found a pike blenny during this and the photos are not good - not enough ambient light.
Parking at the Fonatur marina is still a mess.
There are more tourists here but still many businesses closed. Traffic is picking up. I am starting to avoid Melgar in town again. All other divers were picked up at their nearby southern pier. Holy week tourism is up.

Long night dive at paradise with a full (Worm) moon. Lots out – Octopus, Eels, Basket stars, Spanish lobsters, Channel crabs. I was hoping for a Chain Moray but did not see one. There was a very pale Spotted Moray Eel which at first I thought might be a Snake Eel. 76 minute dive and no other groups near us in the water during the dive. As we prepared to go in, an eagle ray breached near another boat closer to shore.
Some Eagle Rays are still around but I got no photos, some turtles, balloon fish seem to be mating as we see them in pairs with one chasing another around, lots of crabs, free swimming green morays, some lionfish caught with a big one deeper around ~120 -130 ft, good fish life. Dalila, Cedral pass and wall still closed.
I did see Stumpy the Hawksbill turtle and a large green turtle cleaning it’s shell under a ledge. I saw only a couple of nurse sharks. Others earlier in the week saw reef sharks at a southern site.

During the week I have seen Eagle rays breaching up north and we think Dolphins offshore going south. They were darker and could have been pilot whales but they were a quite distance from shore so I can’t be sure. The weather has been unsettled lately.

Balloon fish trying not to be noticed.
Coz Mar 2021 Balloonfish 001.jpg

Balloon fish - more cooperative.
Coz Mar 2021 Balloonfish 003.jpg

Barrel sponges are still spawning
Coz Mar 2021 Barrel Sponge spawn divers 002.jpg

This Burrfish would not give me much but fish butt in every photo. This is the best.
Coz Mar 2021 Burrfish 001.jpg

Clinging Channel Crab
Coz Mar 2021 Channel Clinging Crab 001.jpg

Snappers and Grunts
Coz Mar 2021 Gray Snapper and Bluestripe Grunts 001.jpg

The Green Moray eel in the photo just laid on it's side and did not move much. Sick?
Coz Mar 2021 Green Moray Eel 001.jpg

Green Turtle cleaning it's shell under a ledge.
Coz Mar 2021 Green Turtle 001.jpg

Stumpy the Hawksbill turtle is still around. Missing fin is on the other side. Not the greatest photo as I had strobe problems.
Coz Mar 2021 Hawksbill Turtle 001.jpg

Juvenile Spotted Drum
Coz Mar 2021 Juvenile Spotted Drum 001.jpg

More Photos

Octopus - one of many on a night dive at Paraiso.
Coz Mar 2021 Octopus 001.jpg

Rainbow Parrotfish. I have come to the conclusion that all parrotfish sleep at night.

Coz Mar 2021 Rainbow Parrotfish 001.jpg

Red Banded Hermit Crab

Coz Mar 2021 Red Banded Hermit Crab 001.jpg

Redhair Swimming Crab

Coz Mar 2021 Redhair Swimming Crab 001.jpg

End of Santa Rosa

Coz Mar 2021 Santa Rosa 002.jpg

Seascape

Coz Mar 2021 Seascape 002.jpg

Sharptail Eel

Coz Mar 2021 Sharptail Eel 001.jpg

Spanish Lobster

Coz Mar 2021 Spanish Lobster 001.jpg

Spotted Moray Eel. Very pale and did not like the fish following it around for a free meal.

Coz Mar 2021 Spotted Moray Eel 002.jpg

Spotted Moray Eel

Coz Mar 2021 Spotted Moray Eel 004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom