A Comparison-contrast Of Available Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent. I am not in the market, probably never will be, but I find it all very interesting anyway.

One of the best and most useful posts that I've ever read. Thanks.

Gill,
I am along way from getting into a rebreather...due to cost mostly...but I found your post very informative. Thanks for taking the time to write it...

Thanks for the info. I'm just starting to take interest in the CCR's and am doing lots of homework on the different makes, models & functions. Seems like the more I understand, the more questions I come up with. Hopefully it will sync up here soon

I know exactly what you mean...not only do the questions keep coming up but the same ones come up over and over with yet a new perspective to shed on them. good luck with the journey...

and thanks everyone who have sent such useful feedback...the edits and add ons keep coming. i'll probably have a final version up early next week once all the relatives go away.

Excellent post Gill, too late for me but I'm pretty sure I made the right decision.

However, the great info here will definitely help those you are thinking about CCR.

Cheers

Al

Hi All

Some thoughts from a newbee.

Very informative forum. With lots of good information. One of the things I found touched on is the customer service aspect. Yes you have to do your research and find the unit you are comfortable with supporting your life and definately be able to reliably fly it manually. But if you get no customer service you have no one to turn to if and when you need help. To my knowledge I have just bought the first rebreather in Newfoundland and Labrador and have great relationship with the Canadian Dealer for my unit. No one else seem remotely interested in getting units in this end of the world.

I am know busily learning to get comfortable with all the skills, ins and outs of the unit. While keeping review of all the information I need.

Sue Copp
Ocean Quest Adventure Resort
Dive Shop Manager

PS. I really must change that picture now!

I hear you. Proximity to a dealer can be a significant consideration. It has to be weighed with the likelyhood of ever needing to get service...some rebreather manufacturers intend that you will send the rebreather electronics in annually, others never really intend on having you send it back. On one hand the annual inspection and tune up may give you worthwhile piece of mind on the other hand you may just want to get one you can work on...it's a matter of personal preference. if you live in a part of the world where you are the first on the block, or in your country even, it's something to consider...shipping is expensive, time consuming, risky, and there is always the potential for customs to hastle you.

g

Hi All

Some thoughts from a newbee.

Very informative forum. With lots of good information. One of the things I found touched on is the customer service aspect. Yes you have to do your research and find the unit you are comfortable with supporting your life and definately be able to reliably fly it manually. But if you get no customer service you have no one to turn to if and when you need help. To my knowledge I have just bought the first rebreather in Newfoundland and Labrador and have great relationship with the Canadian Dealer for my unit. No one else seem remotely interested in getting units in this end of the world.

I am know busily learning to get comfortable with all the skills, ins and outs of the unit. While keeping review of all the information I need.

Sue Copp
Ocean Quest Adventure Resort
Dive Shop Manager

PS. I really must change that picture now!

Like the others...thanks for the info!

I have just started taking an interest in CCR. I'm also thinking of getting into tek as well. So, I would imagine that I would want a unit that has the capability to go deep or to have components added that would enable one to dive deep.
From what you have written, a unit with a lot of modularity would be the way to go. Is my thinking correct?

Thanks

When you are shopping for your first rebreather, I recommend to:

1. do multiple test dives with different models. One test dive is not enough because you don't have a feel for rebreather diving. Try to get 10 to 20 hours in before you buy one. At least you will have the basics of rebreather diving. Consider going for a course without buying one straight away. If you really don't like the unit, you only need to de a cross-over course afterwards.

2. select a rebreather based on
a. how it handled in the water during the test dives
b. type of rebreather and features you want on the rebreather (BMCL, OTS CL, mCCR, eCCR, ...)
c. track record of the rebreather. Be carefull with electronic packages. When a new version comes out you are the "guinea pig". Don't consider a package as "proven" after a major change.
d. how good or convenient support is. Long distance is not the easiest way unless you want to make Fedex rich and a small shop can have its disadvantages.
e. consider the units your buddies use. It is easier to swap parts, exchange information if your buddies dive the same unit. They can also provide better assistance in case of an underwater emergency.
f. Be carefull with "internet advice". A lot of Internet divers have hidden agendas.

Some examples:

They want to sell their old rebreather because it has a problem and they want to get rid of it
They are trainers on that unit only, and don't know other rebreathers
They want to sell that unit because they get a bigger commision
They have a close relationship with the vendor and get freebees when they promote a certain unit
They don't dive rebreathers at all (anymore), they just shout a lot on the internet

Some pretty good advice, PeCe, although my view on internet advice isn't quite as dim as yours.
Anyone spending some time online will be able to cut through most of the smoke screens and bs
and sort the good advice from the bad.

One item I'd add to your list:
g. Make sure you understand the rebreather's layout and features, the choices the designers and manufacturers have made on their units, and thel impact they have on your diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom