A cheap personal trick useful making for long time snorkling movie at 2.5m deep !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWeiller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I understood that especially with my beginner diving level and existing regulations I would never be allowed to dive alone at very low cost in the Red Sea at even only 2-3 m deep to take the pictures and movies - generally in stereo 3D - as I wanted ... Recently I had the idea of designing some very very cheap equipment to fulfill my wishes while freely snorkeling ... without any dive !

Please visit Israel3dHOME and click on "Tropical Fishes in Elat !" to access the page on my website where is the link for movies and also the link for my setup ...

Please be indulgent as it was the first time I did this in Elat and also as there was strong winds and then waves !

Recently I had the idea of designing some very very cheap equipment to fulfill my wishes while freely snorkeling ..
I don't see any descriptions or pictures of your equipment. You used the word "snorkel." It cannot be as simple as that. You cannot "snorkel" at that depth.

Hi John,
Yes I am snorkeling at the surface and at the same time I make movies down to 2.5m below the surface as you can see in the movies !
The link for the equipment is at the third text line of the page were the movies are linked, please click on "this page" as shown below
"If you are interested by my special camera underwater mount, see this page."

In your first picture, that's the "Caves" site in southern Eilat, a little more then 2-3 meters if i remember correctly.
At that depth its basically impossible to breath off a snorkel, i'm assuming you snorkel while you are on the surface and when you descend you just hold your breath?

If not i would like to know what kind of diaphragm exercices you do lol

The way I understand it is that he stays at the surface and his camera pole hangs down deeper.

@-Moe
Thanks !
Yes ! This is how it has to be understood !
Note : As I am of french tongue it is sure that it is not so easy for me to perfectly explain things in English ...
The camera is deep (from 0.5 to 2.5 m) in the water and I control its level (vertical height from the surface) and orientation from the surface (I don't dive at all). Tilt of the camera can be set manually for each subject before I lower the camera. Then sometimes part of the 2m pole is outside the water (0.5 to 1.5 m deep), sometimes I hold the pole as far down as possible (2 to 2.5 m deep). It is easier to do than to explain !

@JackOfDiamonds, "In your first picture, that's the "Caves" site in southern Eilat"
Yes ! This is my favorite place in Elat to take pictures and movies ! It is only ~30 m from the beach and there is a great variety of marine life in the 0 - 4 m range !

This, 6ft long?
download (19).jpeg

@northernone,"This, 6ft long?"
Hi,
Thanks !
I tried those kinds of extension in 2017 and was very disappointed.
It look straightforward but the result is very shaky (especially bad when working in 3D !).
I had to throw away most parts of those shaky movies. The best ones I shared only with some people, not on YouTube.
If you want you can see one example here : http://sweiller.free.fr/GoPRo_3D/VideoPart1576.avi
That's why I tried to make something better and my system is now much more stable (when no wind & waves I think it would be almost perfect !).

@SWeller
Bravo ! Where there is a will there is a way !

Enjoyed your pictures and your movie
To reduce movement may I suggest that you fashion small wings to the submerged camera. Only trial and error will determine the shape and size of the wings

Keep on shooting and keep on posting-
your efforts like a breathe of fresh air and are appreciated

Sam Miller, III

Back
Top Bottom