A change of heart, Scubapro D420

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can you tell between models?
If memory serves, this was an issue only when certain swivels were used with certain full face masks, the standard one you would likely be getting should be fine.

Difference is that Version 2 has a set screw holding the main spindle screw. Version 1 used thread-locker. Version 2 will be more reliable. It's an incremental improvement. If given a choice, I would get the new one.

How can you tell between models?
The little hex that locks the spindle is directly opposite the big slotted spindle screw in V1. The hex in V2 is also in the opposite half of the swivel, but is oriented at right angles to the axis of the spindle screw. Huge improvement in security, keeping the swivel halves at the proper clearance to prevent o-ring extrusion and catastrophic gas loss.

[QUOTE = "rsingler, post: 9003643, membro: 421016"] Come un ragazzo che ha sempre amato la serie D, questo è stato un viaggio interessante. Ora che ho immerso duramente il D420 per una settimana e ho superato alcune prove e tribolazioni di quello che sembrava essere un regolatore volgare, sono collegate ad alcune conclusioni.

È meglio della vecchia serie D? Decisamente sì. Ma la risposta è complessa.

Servizio: Ora che ho capito come riparare correttamente il giocattolo, mi sento molto meglio. Certamente, è un pezzo di torta da smontare e rimontare fisicamente. È qualcosa che la serie D originale non potrebbe mai rivendicare, con quella copertura in gomma! Eppure i miei veri dubbi sul trovare un orifizio polimerico all'interno quando l'ho aperto per la prima volta, si sta rivelando molto robusto. In effetti, dopo aver cercato di "migliorare" il bordo del coltello su un registro con un po 'di lavoro manuale, penso che l'orifizio polimerico sia necessariamente più robusto di quei vecchi in metallo! Il bordo del coltello in metallo era così delicato, e il materiale del sedile all'indietro era più rigido, non ci è molto rigido per trasformare un D-350 in un maiale, una causa della pressione della molla e dell ' elevato sforzo di incrinatura richiesto per superare un orifizio intaccato. Quello è Ecco stato è così divertente imparare a ripristinare una mano i bordi dei coltelli in metallo. Ma questa sarà un'abilità non necessaria con questi nuovi orifizi polimerici.
Sarò interessato a partecipare al mio prossimo seminario di servizio con Scubapro, per scoprire se stanno insegnando i "trucchi" che ho dovuto scoprire da solo, poiché il manuale di servizio è piuttosto deludente. Questo perché la messa a punto non è difficile, ma non è così intuitiva come con il vecchio design a botte a barilotto / S-wing. E nonostante la somiglianza con l'otturatore centrale bilanciato del D-400, si sintonizza in modo leggermente diverso.

Prestazioni : proprio come la serie D originale, il breve percorso del flusso dall'otturatore al bocchino garantisce un'erogazione fantastica dell'aria! I miei test dinamici mostrano una grande stabilità ad alto flusso senza crossover.
Ma che dire della perdita del fantastico diaframma coassiale / valvola di scarico? Bene, è lì che ci saranno amanti e nemici per questo reg.
Non c'è dubbio che l'originale D350 sia funzionato allo stesso modo praticamente in qualsiasi posizione di immersione. Guardare in alto, sottosopra o piatto sulla schiena
Ma la D originale non era perfetta. Con una valvola di scarico relativamente piccola, il lavoro respiratorio totale non era fantastico quando includeva uno sforzo espiratorio, specialmente in profondità. Man mano che il design del reg è diventato più sofisticato, cose come l'S620Ti e la serie C hanno contribuito a ridurre lo sforzo espiratorio, anche se non si può facilmente usare al di fuori di una macchina ANSTI. Ma nessuno poteva battere una D sintonizzata a caldo per uno sforzo ispiratore.
Ed è qui che la D420 è una partenza dalla serie D originale. Sbarazzarsi della valvola di scarico coassiale creerà nemici. Nessun dubbio a riguardo. Ma ciò che il cambiamento ha fatto è davvero insegnarmi in cosa implica la "colpa" della geometria del caso. Quello che gli ingegneri di Scubapro hanno fatto è stato approfittarnedi CGF e utilizzarlo per migliorare lo sforzo respiratorio nella posizione di immersione standard. Questo reg ha un diaframma più basso nell'acqua nella posizione di immersione standard, rispetto alla valvola di scarico. Ciò significa che la pressione interna del reg è "precaricata" dal pollice in più di profondità rispetto alla valvola di scarico. Quello che credo stia accadendo è che quel precarico avvicina la valvola di un pollice all'apertura, in modo che il tuo sforzo respiratorio efficace nella posizione standard sia uno sforzo di cracking meno 1 ". Quindi, sei in fondo alla gamma di specifiche a 1,2 ", lo sforzo richiesto per aprire la valvola durante l'immersione è di soli 0,2"! Ma ciò significa anche che non è possibile sintonizzare questo reg hot. L '
Ovviamente, se si ruota sulla schiena, si perde il vantaggio di CGF e si vuole uno sforzo completo per aprire la valvola. Ma suppongo che gli ingegneri SP abbiano ritenuto che fosse un ragionevole compromesso poter mettere una valvola di scarico più grande e in una posizione migliore. Perché credo di poter davvero sentire l'attitudine più facile rispetto alla D-400.

Detto questo, adoro questo nuovo reg. Sembra robusto ed è un gioco da ragazzi smontare. Fornisce un flusso enorme ed è stato facile a 120 '. Il tempo è diretto, ma per ora sono un fan. Non vedo l'ora per la coppia di MK19 / D420 che ho ordinato per il sidemount. Spero che Rona non ritardi la consegna dall'Italia. [/QUOTE]

Sorry Rsingler, to better understand, I read that you were in Key Largo, and tested your D420, initially putting the 0.8 "cracking and you noticed that it tended to go in continuous delivery, so then you tuned it to the cracking 1 , 1 "and here you have not said how it behaved, now after all the tests, what do you recommend like cracking softer, delicate but at the same time safe from auto delivery 1,2"? Sorry for my English

I'm in the final stages of putting together one more video describing what happened in Key Largo, and how Case Geometry Fault is behind Scubapro's decision to have a rather high cracking effort by specification. In fact CGA transforms that high spec into minimal breathing resistance in the standard diving position . Hopefully the video will make this clear to all our interested members. Sorry for the delay!

The bottom line in my recommendation is that you not tune it lighter than 1.0"
(spec is 1.2-1.6 ").
At 1.0 ", the reg performed extremely well in Key Largo, delivering effortless breathing and huge flow at 110'. When I dove the Hoyt Vandenberg, we tied off to the superstructure in over a knot of current. We were straight out in the water flow like a flag, as we hand-over-hand followed the line to the ship. Kicking our way at 100' along the superstructure once we let go of the line to find some rest in the lee of the wreck was a real effort. Through all of this, the D420 breathed very easily tuned to 1.0", despite four atmospheres of air density. Going head down into the wreck made no difference, and at 1", there was none of the wetness I'd noticed when I had had it tuned lighter in my pool test ( D420! How about that? ) when inverted.
Earlier in my trip to the Keys, when I had it tuned to 0.8", it gave me just the hint of "chipmunk cheeks" in the standard diving position, though it was fine in all other positions. Recall that "standard diving position" is when the diaphragm is lowest in the water with this unusually shaped reg. So that's not unlike the way my old D-400 breathed when I had it tuned to 0.6".
However, this skittishness, when coupled with the new larger exhalation valve made for too much sensitivity when out of my mouth. When doing long-hose drills with my son, the tendency to freeflow with minimal mishandling of the reg was unacceptable. With the reg tuned to low spec, this problem goes away.

Hopefully it will be more obvious in the video, but what I believe is happening is that placing the diaphragm lowermost in the case preloads the internal case pressure by 0.75". The diagram is flexible, and is at a deeper depth than the mouthpiece (in the standard diving position). That's why the "sink test" of cracking effort allows you to check your regulator's tuning without a magnehelic gauge, as it hisses when slightly submerged in a sink full of water.
Well, if your cracking effort is -1.2 ", and you preload with +0.75", your net breathing resistance is only 0.45"!!! That's why the reg was so unstable at 0.8". It took only a wave of the reg underwater when out of my mouth to trigger a massive freeflow, unless I was very careful to bleed the residual air in the case during valve drills by slowly turning the reg mouthpiece up. That kind of defeats the purpose of an emergency drill, doesn't it?
But tuned to spec, or a hair below, this reg cracks as easily as an S620Ti, and IMO, delivers better flow due to the short path from poppet to mouthpiece. Finally exhalation effort is noticeably easier.
Sorry I wasn't clearer, @Alessandro Barlettani !

Service / tuning trick:
Make sure there's always a hint of clearance between the back of the diaphragm centre disc and the lever. Perhaps 0.25-0.5mm. Always.

This engineering diagram is a touch fanciful:
Screenshot_20200519-090426_OneDrive.jpg

As drawn, there is zero clearance between diaphragm and lever (bad). There is zero clearance between poppet and knife edge (true). There is zero clearance between the nib at the end of the poppet and the entire lever fulcrum (false). There is zero clearance between the lower hex adjuster and the bottom of the lever fulcrum (too tight). If adjusted this closely, you have a setup for instability.
Why? Because the diaphragm is stretchy silicone. It's "another spring" helping to unseat the poppet.

Any pressure on the lever will lift the poppet. However, only the top hex and spring should determine cracking effort. If you add to that unseating force by tightening the lower hex so that there's lever contact with the diaphragm, there's now an unknown additional pressure being applied to the lever by the diaphragm elasticity.
So...you tighten the top hex to try to make the hiss stop. That tries to depress the poppet, but it is very unpredictable. Why? Because with the lever in contact with the diaphragm, as you increase spring pressure, whatever additional seat compression you obtain with the top hex and spring is counterbalanced by the additional force that the poppet is placing on the lever, and the additional stretch that is being applied to the diaphragm. This pushes back, counteracting the additional pressure provided by the top hex. So you tighten the top hex some more...and the diaphragm pushes back...more. Unstable tuning.
Theoretically, this shouldn't happen, because the diaphragm is held in check by the back of the purge lever, which has a little notch at the bottom to stop outward movement. But I can only tell you what I've seen twice now, due (I think) to the above.

Instead, you want cracking effort to be determined solely by the balance between poppet seat and poppet spring pressure. And if you try to "gild the lily" by having a perfect kiss between diaphragm disc and lever, you'll find that as soon as you tighten the top hex to adjust cracking effort, the seat compresses a hair more, the poppet drops a hair in the housing pushing harder against the lever, and now the diaphragm is pushing back, reversing your tune. So now you go and readjust lever height for the third time. This is the technique recommended by the manual, and I disagree with it. It requires too many removals of the diaphragm to finish tuning. Having 0.5mm of "wasted" play between the lever and diaphragm makes for an insignificant decrease in maximum valve opening, for a markedly easier and faster tune.

The likely correct orientation of the lever fulcrum is like this:
Screenshot_20200519-091433_Gallery.jpg

With this arrangement, the lever is "hanging" on the upper corner of the lever fulcrum. That is why, with the diaphragm off, you can lift the floppy lever ~0.5 cm. Same as with the D400.

And when you lay the reg on its back (mouthpiece down) there should be 1/4mm between the lever and the diaphragm disc here, as set by the bottom hex screw.
20200519_100254_1.jpg

This clearance is greater with pressure on, than with pressure off. The lever drops a hair when pressurized. Why? Because the IP inside the center balanced compartment is now pushing against the seat. It is trying to lift the poppet and flow, but is counterbalanced by the top spring. That microscopic lift (just short of valve opening and freeflow) pulls the bottom poppet nib away from the lever fulcrum, and the lever drops a hair.

I suppose you could tune it for zero clearance with pressure off, giving you 0.25mm gap between lever and diaphragm with pressure on. You'll have to decide if it's worth the effort. That would be as anal as I would get about it. Once the lever is touching the diaphragm while the reg is under pressure, all stability bets are off, IMO.

With this slight change, tuning the D420 is a piece of cake! And with disassembly/reassembly so fast and easy compared to the usual barrel design, you might just become a convert to the D-series again! Well, except @Luis H , who wouldn't give up his double-hose for any damned single hose toy. :poke:

I'm in the final stages of putting together one more video describing what happened in Key Largo, and how Case Geometry Fault is behind Scubapro's decision to have a rather high cracking effort by specification. In fact CGA transforms that high spec into minimal breathing resistance in the standard diving position . Hopefully the video will make this clear to all our interested members. Sorry for the delay!
Thanks

[QUOTE = "rsingler, post: 9014270, membro: 421016"] Trucco di servizio / ottimizzazione:
Assicurati che ci sia sempre un accenno di spazio tra la parte posteriore del disco centrale del diaframma e la leva. Forse 0,25-0,5 mm. Sempre.

Questo diagramma di ingegneria è un tocco di fantasia:
[ATTACH = full] 586.972 [/ attach]
Come disegnato, v'è nullo gioco tra il diaframma e la leva (mala). Non c'è spazio libero tra l'otturatore e il bordo del coltello (vero). C'è spazio zero tra il pennino all'estremità dell'otturatore e l'intero fulcro della leva (falso). C'è spazio zero tra il registro esagonale inferiore e la parte inferiore del fulcro della leva (troppo stretto). Se regolato da vicino, hai una configurazione per instabilità.
Perché? Perché il diaframma è in silicone elastico. È "un'altra primavera" che aiuta a disfare il fungo.

Qualsiasi pressione sulla leva solleva l'otturatore. Pertanto, l'esagono superiore e la molla determinano lo sforzo di rottura. Se si aggiunge a quella forza disadattata stringendo l'esagono inferiore in modo che vi sia un contatto della leva con il diaframma, ora viene applicata una pressione aggiuntiva sconosciuta alla leva dall'elasticità del diaframma.
Quindi ... stringi l'esagono superiore. Ciò cerca di deprimere il fungo, ma è molto imprevedibile. Perché? Perché con la leva a contatto con il diaframma, quando si aumenta la pressione della molla, qualsiasi ulteriore compressione della sede ottenuta con l'esagono superiore e la molla viene controbilanciata dalla forza aggiuntiva che l'otturatore sta esercitando sulla leva e dall'allungamento aggiuntivo che viene applicato al diaframma. Questo spinge indietro, contrastando la pressione aggiuntiva fornita dall'esagono superiore.

Invece, si desidera che lo sforzo di incrinatura sia determinato esclusivamente dall'equilibrio tra sede dell'otturatore e pressione della molla dell'otturatore. E se provi a "dorare il giglio" avendo un bacio perfetto tra il disco del diaframma e la leva, scoprirai che non appena stringi l'esagono superiore per regolare lo sforzo di cracking, il sedile comprime un pelo di più, l'otturatore rilascia un i capelli nella custodia spingono più forte contro la leva, e ora il diaframma sta spingendo indietro, invertendo la melodia.

Il probabile orientamento corretto del fulcro della leva è il seguente:
[ATTACH = full] 586.971 [/ attach]
Con questa disposizione, la leva si "appende" nell'angolo superiore del fulcro della leva. Ecco perché, con il diaframma spento, è possibile sollevare la leva floppy di ~ 0,5 cm. Come per la D400.

E quando appoggi il reg sul dorso (il bocchino verso il basso) ci dovrebbe essere 1 / 4mm tra la leva e il disco del diaframma qui, come impostato dalla vite esagonale inferiore.
[ATTACH = full] 586.974 [/ attach]
Questo gioco è maggiore con la pressione attivata, che con la pressione disattivata. La leva fa cadere un pelo quando è sotto pressione. Perché? Perché l'IP all'interno del vano bilanciato centrale sta spingendo contro il sedile. Sta cercando di sollevare l'otturatore e il flusso, ma è controbilanciato dalla molla superiore. Quel microscopico sollevamento (poco meno dell'apertura della valvola e del flusso libero) allontana il pennino del fungo inferiore dal fulcro della leva e la leva lascia cadere un pelo.

Con questo leggero cambiamento, sintonizzare la D420 è un gioco da ragazzi! E con lo smontaggio / rimontaggio così rapido e semplice rispetto al solito design a barilotto, potresti semplicemente diventare di nuovo un convertito alla serie D! Bene, tranne [USER = 49577] @Luis H [/ USER], che non rinuncerebbe al suo doppio tubo per nessun dannato giocattolo a tubo singolo. : Poke:[/CITAZIONE][/QUOTE]congratulations beautiful explanation

Difference is that Version 2 has a set screw holding the main spindle screw. Version 1 used thread-locker. Version 2 will be more reliable. It's an incremental improvement. If given a choice, I would get the new one.

Omniswivel offers an upgrade kit from a 1.0 to 2.0. Fairly simple to do (if you have the machined AL block tool).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom