A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Big Blue and Ban's on Koh Tao. I would not recommend Bans for OW cert, but they are supposed to have a really good IDC program. Just Go!

Hi there,

I am working as PADI Course Director for Bans CDC Center, Sunshine Divers and The Koh Tao IDC Group. Is it possible to have a career in diving? I am biased of course, but my answer is an absolut yes. I have been lucky to work in the dive industry for 15 years. I been working as a divemaster and instructor in many areas in the world. i also been fortunate working as a journalist for a diving magazine for a few years and since 1998 fulltime teaching instructor courses. In many areas in the world the demand is actually higher than the supply of instructors. at bans there is around 30 fulltime instructors and the average instructor been working there for 5 years or more. i am so happy that i decided to take the step and started a career in this industry - the people i meet and the places i have seen would just not have been possible in another industry. i can highly recommend a career in diving!

cheers jonas

So I guess the answer to the thread's title question would be...realistically idealistic? :wink:

I am going to breathe a little bit of life into this thread with a few points of my own, starting off with something that caught me completely off guard. Regarding how much money to save up before leaving (although I am not looking at Thailand, I am looking @ the bay islands (specifically Utila)). Some people were talking about figures in the neighborhood of $20,000!! My jaw nearly dropped as I had been budgeting for about $12,000 myself. This made me kind of panic and wonder, what would be a good amount be to start off with? Obviously as much as possible is the answer, but an average dollar amount would be helpful.

My last point is directed specifically for Lisa (hoping she still checks this board), but what do you think the crucial selling point for employment for you in the Caribbean was? Certs, languages, etc? Also, how is it going down there financially? I imagine things have obviously slowed down recently, but are operations struggling?

Anywho, thanks in advance for the help, a free registration to scubaboard has saved me untold amounts of money already in preventing me from making mistakes I would have made on my own :lotsalove:

So I guess the answer to the thread's title question would be...realistically idealistic? :wink:

I am going to breathe a little bit of life into this thread with a few points of my own, starting off with something that caught me completely off guard. Regarding how much money to save up before leaving (although I am not looking at Thailand, I am looking @ the bay islands (specifically Utila)). Some people were talking about figures in the neighborhood of $20,000!! My jaw nearly dropped as I had been budgeting for about $12,000 myself. This made me kind of panic and wonder, what would be a good amount be to start off with? Obviously as much as possible is the answer, but an average dollar amount would be helpful.

My last point is directed specifically for Lisa (hoping she still checks this board), but what do you think the crucial selling point for employment for you in the Caribbean was? Certs, languages, etc? Also, how is it going down there financially? I imagine things have obviously slowed down recently, but are operations struggling?

Anywho, thanks in advance for the help, a free registration to scubaboard has saved me untold amounts of money already in preventing me from making mistakes I would have made on my own :lotsalove:

I went to work for a live aboard, and I didnt budget for anything. I had a few hundred bucks and a dream. I lived it. I still teach scuba for part of a living, cave diving.

Unfortunately, instructors are pretty much a dime a dozen on my end....Out of the 6 I know personally, none are instructors fulltime--2 have parttime shops that they own(1 is a fulltume real estate agent the other a fulltime deputy sheriff), 2 are partime instructing and civilians working for the Federal government fulltime, and the last 2 are not instructing @ all @ this time(one is our middle child who worked in the biz for 6 years--3.5 years on Roatan, 1.5 years as a watersports director for the Wind Star Cruises and 1.5 years for Peter Hughes on 2 of his live aboards).....I would guess working as a parttime instructor would be the way to shoot for...good luck & go for that dream--@ least for some time....

hi there
i think you should initially do your IDC and just take everything as it comes. I actually did my IDC in thailand in 1996 (oh so long ago) and would be an example of what you are probably after.
i worked as an instructor after it ( i didn't get a job for a month but stuck around and got to know a few people.)
i stayed for 8 months...saved just a little...but had a great time.
then i landed a job as a corperate dive guide and started making some really good money in australia!! very happy and lucky. i did that for a few years and the people i worked for are still very close friends. after that i was offered another job where i would make enough money as a diving instructor with an aquatic company to buy land in australia ...(where i'm from).i travelled all through the caribbean with that job
most of my other future jobs stemmed from becoming a dive instructor and i did courses as needed. i was paid to do my EMT (medical tech course) in florida. Through the years i have competed lots of maritime courses and used them for other jobs. many of my friends are working on yachts(started off using their instructors ticket for placement) and are making ridiculous money on luxury boats.one of my good friends is a jet pilot for a businessman in america....where did he get the job and training?....when he was teaching the guy diving.
right now i'm a dive guide on the most beautiful island in japan with a lovely wife. i have just written a childrens book about the ocean which i am in the process of printing up in china.
now the purpose of this note is not to show how good i am! i have obviously had a lot of up and downs along the way...but sirenita don't hold back on taking a few risks just because of good advice,or bad advice.
by the way the answer to your question is YES you can make good money out of diving...but most importantly it can open many other doors
regards

Well, it's been a year and a half since Sirenita last checked into SB, and I've spent over a day reading the tale (and the comments).

A fantastic story, and it appears she's still taking pictures and shooting video in the Grand Caymans. Mermaids was merely the beginning of her wondrous journey to a successful career and happy life.

I'm planning to follow when I can, when I reach an empty nest, and can only hope to be half as successful as she.

If you ever come back around Lisa, congratulations!

Diving is an amazing way of life. i been so lucky in the dive industry. i been working as divemaster in some of the most amazing places in the world, i been teaching in many countries, both cold and warm (and hot he he), i worked for a diving magazine for 2-3 years that was so much fun as well. now i am the PADI Course Director and Op Manager for Bans CDC Center and The Koh Tao IDC Group. life is great - i am so happy that 'changed my life' to become a diveprofessional. (we find jobs pretty much for anyone attending the idc - its lods of jobs out there!!!). kind regards jonas samuelsson padi cd (bans koh tao cdc)

and I've spent over a day reading the tale (and the comments).

A fantastic story, If you ever come back around Lisa,

congratulations!

Probably 4 hours over two days for me, this was a great read. :mooner:

Great job on the blog too....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom