A.C.E. wreck footage with HF-G10 and Keldan lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

textilet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Brother and I recently picked up our first set of "real" video lights (Keldan Luna 8 LA-V) and had a chance to test them out on 12-30-11.
[video=vimeo;34446082]http://vimeo.com/34446082[/video]

Here are my initial thoughts after the first dives with the lights (re-posted from a different forum):
First thing I noticed upon hitting the bottom and firing up the lights: these lights are extremely bright. I knew intuitively that 4500 lumen per light was a lot of light, but I have to confess I harbored a little doubt as to whether it would be "enough" given that there are lights out there in this price range which are rated up to 6000 lumen. My doubts were unfounded. I immediately cranked both lights up to full blast and was amazed a the huge area of the surface of the wreck which was illuminated. I was so taken by the view that I left the lights on high and totally blew out the first few minutes of footage. I just wasn't used to the possibility of having too much light.
The pattern of light is very nicely diffused, with no hot spot visible, even in the footage I over-lit. Its just a wall of even light with no discernible border. The edges fall off very gradually and evenly. At any rate the edge of the light pattern isn't even visible through the camera at the distances from which we were filming.
The next thing I noticed were the colors. The A.C.E. wreck is covered with a a rainbow of different shades of corynactis anemones; under the light of the Keldans, I was able to clearly see (and film) subtle differences between the purple, the red, the red-orange, and the gold clusters. I also noticed the difference between the colors on the stalks of the metridium anemones, as some are snow white and others a warm yellow-tan, almost leathery color. The resulting video easily has the best color palette of any we have shot.
Whether this is due to finally having enough light for the camera to use, or the unique high CRI quality of the lights is an open question. I hope to get my hands on a pair of Light & Motion Sola 4000's soon and do a side by side test, but so far my seat-of-the pants opinion is that the light the Keldans put out gave a nice boost to the warm end of the color spectrum, and that this boost is noticeable in the image.
The second to last shot of the video (2:58) is of a rolled up net floating with encrusting corynactis. My brother (pfulks) shot that. This shot in particular looks exactly as it did underwater, and shows off some of the different variations of color. I didn't do anything to the shot in post. In fact I only adjusted color on three shots...and the more I look at them, the more I think I should have left them alone.
Battery life was good considering how long I ran the lights on full power; burn times appear to be as advertised but we have only burned them down once. They lasted on various power levels with power to spare through two 40+ minute dives.
I only have two minor complaints thus far:
First, there is a useful l.e.d. indicator on each light which shows remaining battery power-but no way to visually check which output level the lights are set to. This means you have to "count the clicks" as you turn the control ring, which takes some concentration if your hands are cold and you are wearing thick gloves. It would be nice to have l.e.d.s to help level match the lights.
Second, the polycarbonate globes that help give the lights their beautiful fall-off characteristics are delicate and will scratch if treated carelessly. Small scratches do not appear to affect light output though.
All in all I am astounded by the quantity and quality of the light put out by the Keldans. My brother and I can't wait to go dive them again.

....there we go..Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326121744266.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326121744266.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1326121764576.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326121764576.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 50
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom