A brief review and a question about Atomic split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Draq

Registered
Reaction score
I got a pair of Atomic splits just before my last trip to Cozumel. I almost didn't get them because of how they fit. The XL were way too large (wide) using my regular booties and the L were just a bit tight (narrow). I am about a 11.5 size and my booties are either an 11 or 12, depending on brand and sole.

Anyway, I went ahead and got the large and took them with me. I found them very pleasant in use. My maneuverability seemed fine and I didn't have problems in the current. I don't really care about speed and didn't try to test that, as I am rarely in a hurry while diving. Because I was doing my AOW dives and therefore focusing on navigation or buoyancy or something else, and encountered a lot of current on most of my other dives, I really didn't get a chance to see if the claim that splits improve air consumption was true.

I loved the spring straps and since I tend to have sinking legs, I was glad the fins are positive or at least not significantly negative. It was very easy to just hang horizontal when necessary to take a picture. In the past I would find my legs starting to drop and I would have to kick a little. All in all, I really like them. Frankly, I don't think the differences between most fins are as great as the huge debates about them would suggest, and they would not be a good choice if you have floaty legs, but I liked them, except....

The bad news: The foot pockets were indeed too narrow. After diving it was all I could do to get the things off my feet. A couple of times I was tempted to ask someone to pull them off for me so I could get back on the boat. My pride wouldn't let me do that, but I started being sure I was the last one to the ladder so no one would have to wait while I engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the things. Once, I was pulling so hard that when my hand slid off the fin, it sliced my hand.

I am therefore thinking of putting these up for sale and either getting a split fin with a wider foot pocket, like the Oceanic V12, or perhaps getting the Atomic XL and looking for a heavier-duty boot like a Sunray, if that will fit better in the large pocket of the XL. I don't want Apollo simply because they are quite negative.

Anyone have XL Atomics and wear a size 12 warm-water boot?

look into the Apollo fin, its is much better built and has a fantastically more comfortable foot pocket. not sure about sizing though.

if you go for the Atomic XL fins, Id suggest going with a pinnacle boot. Those boots are almost like shoes on the bottom and tend to be a bit thicker, and more heavier duty boots. A co-worker here used them to increase his size 9 foot to fit into the Super Rocket Fin.
If you'd prefer to go the other route of getting a different brand split fin, Id highly recommend the Tusa Expert Zoom's as those are fantastic split fins; and in my personal opinion, have a very comfortable, and versatile foot pocket.

I got a pair of Atomic splits just before my last trip to Cozumel. I almost didn't get them because of how they fit. The XL were way too large (wide) using my regular booties and the L were just a bit tight (narrow). I am about a 11.5 size and my booties are either an 11 or 12, depending on brand and sole.

Anyway, I went ahead and got the large and took them with me. I found them very pleasant in use. My maneuverability seemed fine and I didn't have problems in the current. I don't really care about speed and didn't try to test that, as I am rarely in a hurry while diving. Because I was doing my AOW dives and therefore focusing on navigation or buoyancy or something else, and encountered a lot of current on most of my other dives, I really didn't get a chance to see if the claim that splits improve air consumption was true.

I loved the spring straps and since I tend to have sinking legs, I was glad the fins are positive or at least not significantly negative. It was very easy to just hang horizontal when necessary to take a picture. In the past I would find my legs starting to drop and I would have to kick a little. All in all, I really like them. Frankly, I don't think the differences between most fins are as great as the huge debates about them would suggest, and they would not be a good choice if you have floaty legs, but I liked them, except....

The bad news: The foot pockets were indeed too narrow. After diving it was all I could do to get the things off my feet. A couple of times I was tempted to ask someone to pull them off for me so I could get back on the boat. My pride wouldn't let me do that, but I started being sure I was the last one to the ladder so no one would have to wait while I engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the things. Once, I was pulling so hard that when my hand slid off the fin, it sliced my hand.

I am therefore thinking of putting these up for sale and either getting a split fin with a wider foot pocket, like the Oceanic V12, or perhaps getting the Atomic XL and looking for a heavier-duty boot like a Sunray, if that will fit better in the large pocket of the XL. I don't want Apollo simply because they are quite negative.

Anyone have XL Atomics and wear a size 12 warm-water boot?

A lot depends on the type of bootie you are using.

I take a size 9.5 shoe and I have Atomic Liquid Blue (size XL). My booties are made by SeaSoft. I have SeaSoft Stealth booties for cold water diving in New England and SeaSoft SunRays for warm water diving in the Caribbean and Hawaii.

The SeaSoft booties have hard soles which come in very handy in New England and in Bonaire and Curacao.

My 14 year old daughter has Atomic Smoke on the Water (size large). She is also using SeaSoft booties.

I have heard great things about the Apollo, and one guy on the boat had a pair he was very happy with, but I know they are pretty negative and part of my reason for getting new fins was to get something more buoyant to counteract my sinking feet issue. The Atomic did that quite well and I think the Apollo would have an opposite effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom