A bit of Military Surplus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
While I dive vintage gear I don't go so far as to dive the old twin regs. But I was just surfing the American Science and Surplus web sight and I ran across something that you guys might find amusing. Just go to

www sciplus.com

and stick Item number 38854 into the search engine

Good Sruff

Pretty interesting. An escape rebreather. Deadly in the wrong hands, iffy with proper training. Like most things in life it all depends on motivation.

Pretty interesting. An escape rebreather. Deadly in the wrong hands, iffy with proper training. Like most things in life it all depends on motivation.

I would expect it's much safer than staying inside your sinking u-boat.

Terry

Scary !!!!

Update, yes, scary.

This is not a Navy unit used on subs. It is an Army unit, 100% 02 rebreather for escaping tanks.

Appears the manual refers mostly to the T-55. It uses a disposable scrubber unit, media not included, yet the rebreather came in its sealed pack with maintenance tags intact. I say maintenance tags since the unit did appear to have some use, maybe for training? The .8 liter o2 tank does have gas in it, I wonder what DOT or UPS would think of that one! Some of these units have been modified for scuba, yet in the wrong hands it would be deadly........

Update, yes, scary.

This is not a Navy unit used on subs. It is an Army unit, 100% 02 rebreather for escaping tanks.

Appears the manual refers mostly to the T-55. It uses a disposable scrubber unit, media not included, yet the rebreather came in its sealed pack with maintenance tags intact. I say maintenance tags since the unit did appear to have some use, maybe for training? The .8 liter o2 tank does have gas in it, I wonder what DOT or UPS would think of that one! Some of these units have been modified for scuba, yet in the wrong hands it would be deadly........
What kind of gas does the O2 bottle have it in? :D I think you need to give it a try at Joe's.

30 year old 100% o2. Yes, with a little modification and build a new scrubber, a shallow dive at FRP would be possible!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom