A Big Marketing Lessons From A Tiny Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be curious to see the amount of revenue each country brings in from tourism (all forms). I would be willing to bet that they are pretty comparable if Curacao isn't higher. I can see why Bonaire has so many return visitors tho as it caters to a smaller group. People go to Bonaire for the ease of diving, and return for such. People go to Curacao for diving and/or topside fun and beautiful beaches. I feel that divers will return to Bonaire because they tend to take trips focused on diving which is exactly what a trip to Bonaire is. As far as Curacao goes, I am sure most people that go there would tend to try somewhere else the following year (been there done that) as there are similar options across the Caribbean.

I am going to Bonaire for my first time in August, so I found this post interesting as I am traveling with people who are going for their second time. We shall see if I will be one of those return guests. I can't imagine I wont be with the ease of diving and affordability of it all. I feel that if you are a dive addict and want to go somewhere affordable that allows you to dive as much as possible, Bonaire should be on your list to return every couple years.

Also, not to mention, SEVERAL of the sites I have looked at that promote diving in Curacao also boast about the quality of diving in Bonaire. Not so much endorsement of Curacao on Bonaire sites. As someone planning a dive trip, if I see this, I would tend to lean more towards Bonaire!

Curacao doesn't seem to market as aggressively, though I'm seeing it discussed more, in more ads, trips there offered by organizers, trip reports on the forum, etc... So maybe this is changing, but I don't get the sense it's rapidly catching up.

So, riddle me this. Could Curacao change that? Think a different marketing campaign would put them in Bonaire's league?

Conversely, is Bonaire missing opportunity by not more aggressively marketing itself to other interests? Are there kite boarding forums raving about it?

Richard.

You hit the nail on the head! 10 years ago I remember while attending my PADI OW classes at my local dive op, hearing about all these exotic destinations. There were dive trips planned for various places in the Pacific, Cozumel and a place called Bonaire which I never knew existed. As I embarked onto the passion of diving and meeting other divers I always heard of Bonaire as the diving mecca. Dive magazines ran multi paged articles on Bonaire while Curacao was lucky to get a postage stamp sized advertisement in the last pages. It was when diving in Saba that I met a couple who recommended Curacao as a dive destination. Since then, I have been to Bonaire twice and Curacao five times. Personally I prefer the diving in Curacao. However Bonaire beats Curacao hands down when it comes to the ease and logistics of changing out tanks and tackling far more dive sites, hence the popular phrase "diving freedom' etc. It would be interesting to compare how much the governments on each of these islands fund programs promoting tourism and diving. I think Curacao is gaining more attention in the dive industry, but looking at the big picture, it still suffers the Jan versus Marcia Brady complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZHveWFvqM

I've been saying the same for St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. Diving is a great way to have directed tourism with (typically) higher discretionary income.

St. Croix has a lot going for it: world class diving on The Frederiksted Pier (Day and NIGHT), wrecks, reef, wall/canyon dives, photography, shore diving, and most dive sites are within 10 minutes by boat. The west end of St. Croix has over 40 dive sites and is protected by the wind (leeward) and is typically calm like a lake. The north shore has the Salt River Canyon and Wall dives to 13,500 feet. Brilliant.

Facebook photos speak a lot of the dive quality.

There's a lot that can be done to better promote diving destinations. St. Croix has something to learn from the ABCs. :)

NToTheBlue:

Glad you posted. This brings up a topic I've been keen to figure out for some time; Why Don't St. Croix Get More Love? I like to look at Caribbean destinations & ask this question. Some, like Cozumel, Bonaire, the Cayman Islands & Belize, seem to soak up the lion's share of the tourist diving mindshare (& I'm guessing business). And I think St. Thomas gets a lot of business from cruise shippers; I did 4 dives there via cruise, & interestingly my 2 St. Croix dives were on a cruise stop. So, St. Lucia, St. Croix, a number of other places, why aren't they higher on the mainstream tourist diver's to-do list?

I've looked at St. Croix off & on. My thoughts from a customer perspective:

1.) Sounds like good diving, but I can get that at several other places.

2.) Not real expensive, but not real cheap, either. I can go elsewhere for comparable money.

3.) As a U.S. holding a passport may not be needed, but how many people fly around the Caribbean without one? Non-issue.

4.) If I come alone, it's to be a dive marathon. I want 4 - 5 dives/day, maybe 3 if the diving's wonderful (like I hear about Little Cayman). Seems I'd need to supplement with shore diving (will address that later).

5.) If I come with family, the non-divers (think cruise ship pod people, not bar hoppers, night lifers, deep sea fishermen or apt to be enthralled with visiting distilleries & history buffs; wife, mother-in-law, toddler) would need entertainment. Looking at it online, I don't see canopy tours, parasailing, zip lines, zoos, big Spanish forts, a lot of touristy things. Now, compare that to Belize...

6.) St. Croix's name comes up in threads asking about shore diving destinations. Potentially powerful marketing angle. But recommendations tend to be Bonaire (or Curacao if non-divers in tow), then maybe Curacao if you want something similar in the same area, then Grand Cayman (but more a boat destination), and oh, yeah, then St. Croix, with this great pier you can dive if a cruise ship's not in.

7.) But a lot of that shore diving is off Cane Bay wall, right? Fairly long swim outs if I've read correctly elsewhere?

8.) Other shore sites aren't marked with yellow rocks, you don't get a rental truck with a load of tanks to haul around as part of your basic package, and people aren't on the forum talking about the details of specific sites much. If you want to talk about a Bonaire dive site, people will join you. Seems like shore diving site discussions on St. Croix are more general (except the pier). So, if I rent a truck, do I have to drive on the wrong side of the road? Is finding my way around the island more of a hassle than running up & down Bonaire's west coast-hugging road?

9.) A lot of dive shops offer group trips to Bonaire, which has strong brand recognition amongst divers. It's one of those places so many people have been it's like you join a club when you go. A conversation piece, a shared experience. I 'cut my teeth' on Bonaire with 4 group trips before I started going alone. Especially for dive destinations where people need to get out & drive around to access shore diving sites, that group introduction is attractive.

10.) Association as a Virgin Island. This sounds lame because it is lame, but I'm guessing some who've dove in St. Thomas think they 'done a U.S. Virgin Island,' and if they decide to branch out, might hit a British Virgin Island (e.g.: hit that Rhone wreck) or go elsewhere. Kind of like if there were no Bonaire, Curacao would be likely be crawling with divers. Well, I'm guessing if St. Thomas didn't exist, we'd be hearing a lot more about St. Croix.

11.) St. Croix is a nice looking island viewed from a cruise ship, but does not stack up to the lush, tropical mountainous splendor of viewing St. Lucia. Of course, Bonaire isn't the most scenic island, either...

In summary, seems like St. Croix isn't quite as easy as Bonaire for shore diving, doesn't have a rep. for the great food of Cozumel or the topside attractions of Belize, and while it has some pretty strong selling points (e.g.: good diving, that pier), you can get most of that elsewhere. Is St. Croix one of those places people go after they've been 5 or 6 other places but don't want to pay & endure the travel hassles of reaching the Philippines or Indonesia?

Richard.

P.S.: I'm not dissing St. Croix. I'd like to dive it on a dedicated trip someday. I struggle with options - Cozumel, Bahamas via Live-aboard, Turks & Caicos, St. Kitts & Saba via live-aboard, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman (or Cayman Aggressor?), etc… I've already had dedicated trips to Bonaire, Key Largo & Belize.

I don't know if I buy the whole St Croix diving is under rated and the only reason is because of a lack of marketing. This is the age of the internet, something good typically gets around, hard to keep a hidden gem hidden for long anymore. Great diving typically gets recognized by divers.

Yes, but what happens when the gem, though legitimate, is on display amongst an assortment of others, seen from a distance by most customers, and less marketed?

I agree if St. Croix had Bloody Bay Wall (from what I'm told about it), or Bonaire's west coast shore dive offerings, or the lush rainforest & Mayan ruins of Belize, then yes, word would get out. But what if instead of great diving, St. Croix is one of a number of places offering good-to-really good diving, a nice mix of boat & optional shore diving as an add on, hopefully easy to get to & from? In other words, what if the overall 'package deal' is quite good, but there's no one class-leading feature? Put another way, the lesson of the Thigh Master:

Brings to mind a t.v. show I watched awhile back talking about a fitness product useful for whole body fitness that bombed...until it got rebranded...as the Thigh Master. Evidently that focus, on a perceived need that resonated with customers, was more effective than the same product marketed for a broader range of usage that could've benefited a broader customer base.

Another way to ask the question; why would you go to St. Croix instead of Cozumel, Belize, etc…?

Richard.

P.S.: I'm also not trying to sell St. Croix. I want to get at 'the truth.' And I know it's out there...

---------- Post added July 9th, 2015 at 06:46 PM ----------

P.S. #2: Since St. Croix isn't as well-known as some places, links to some threads about it for those interested.

St. Croix (looks like a good thread to explore).

Quick St. Croix Trip Report.

February Dives in St. Croix.

St. Croix in April.

St. Croix vs. Tortola.

Richard.

I've dove in St. Croix and just wasn't all that impressed. It was alright but I don't really have an interest in returning. We didn't get to the pier.

As I recall St. Croix at least used to advertise the wall diving a fair amount. Don't know if they still do as it's been ages since I've read any of the glossy dive magazines, and my brain mostly filters out online ads.

While I can say nothing but good things about N2TheBlue, I agree with you.
Go to the ABCs...go to Coz. You are much better off going where everyone else does. Go to Florida too...and dive the tank at Disney!!

I hate cattle boats and the 'best' spots. I will suffer with the boring diving on St. Croix with a measly 6 pack.

(I probably just lost my good customer discount) :wink:

https://youtu.be/rYblJu-UsQo

Having read this entire thread. It seems the main reason Bonaire get more attention than Curacao they WORK at it much more. Having been to both places multiple time the diving is VERY SIMILAR with one exception that has been mentioned. Driving between shore sites is more complicated on Curacao. Also true is things to do top side in Curacao is by FAR more varied than Bonaire. As with anything else in marketing those who continue to blow their horn most often and loudest will get more attention. That's my 2 cents

PS : guess where the next big ScubaBoard event is going to be held?

Back
Top Bottom