A biased opinion on Costa Rica - assistance in planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to be in Tamarindo for 4 days... I pretty much dive everywhere and enjoy it (Northeast cold water to Cozumel). But I am going with my boyfriend who is not (yet!) a diver.
He is a good swimmer, has a lot of common sense, and knows how to handle equipment comfortably, so I see him as a natural. But, just like a lot of other activites, I want his first time to be really good so we can look foward to dive vacations in the future....
What are your recommendations/thoughts...

I am going to be in Tamarindo for 4 days... I pretty much dive everywhere and enjoy it (Northeast cold water to Cozumel). But I am going with my boyfriend who is not (yet!) a diver.
He is a good swimmer, has a lot of common sense, and knows how to handle equipment comfortably, so I see him as a natural. But, just like a lot of other activites, I want his first time to be really good so we can look foward to dive vacations in the future....
What are your recommendations/thoughts...

Well Tamarindo has some god surfing and sport fishing. If you are going to dive there, look for shallower dives. Also try this link: http://www.crdp.ws/ many of the dive ops have gotten together to form this site and work with one another. If you have time, do the ATV tour :wink:

How are you?
Reefrunner Divers is also on the Caribbean. They were having a rough time. It was sold to three americans who promptly messed it up.
I'm the old owner and I've just taken it back 2 weeks ago.
We're a PADI shop (#19897) again and doing things right!
We're also a Costa Rica ICT member...

Check out our website - Welcome to Reefrunner Divers - PADI SCUBA Diving in Costa Rica on the Caribbean Coast Based in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Limon - Welcome Cruise Ship Passengers From Limon

We're located in Puerto Viejo, South of Limon and Cahuita.

Our cell phone is 011.506.8329.7850

All of our dives are reef dives and the water is always 80 degrees!
give me a shout!

dllemons - you ought to put your business info in your sig line :) This way wherever you post on the board people will see your info! Welcome to the board, btw.

How are you?
Reefrunner Divers is also on the Caribbean. They were having a rough time. It was sold to three americans who promptly messed it up.
I'm the old owner and I've just taken it back 2 weeks ago.
We're a PADI shop (#19897) again and doing things right!
We're also a Costa Rica ICT member...

Check out our website - Welcome to Reefrunner Divers - PADI SCUBA Diving in Costa Rica on the Caribbean Coast Based in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Limon - Welcome Cruise Ship Passengers From Limon

We're located in Puerto Viejo, South of Limon and Cahuita.

Our cell phone is 011.506.8329.7850

All of our dives are reef dives and the water is always 80 degrees!
give me a shout!

I was in Costa rica from September through November. Had a great time, but wouldn't go there again at that time of year. At times the rain really had me depressed. I did go to Puerto Viejo and it was a great weekend knowing that I didn't have to worry about it raining at all. LOL! Did find out that was the one weekend in San Jose that was sunny all weekend. LOL!

dlemmons is there more then one dive shop in Puerto Viejo? I remember seeing a sign or maybe even a dive shop. Just can not remember the name I saw if any.

There is actually a couple more shops in the area, but they're located out of town.
We're right on the beach in down town puerto viejo.
This past season was the worst in 15 years for rain... quite often we've dived on christmas and new years, and even in the worst of the winter season, we dive 2 days a week on average.
This season has been exceptionally poor, but the cold fronts from north america usually stop getting past the gulf of mexico some time in february... this year it has been well into march.
But August, September and October are usually totally dry and the water is as flat as a mill-pond!
Check out the video on our website... it's typical weather for 6 months of the year...

Reef Runner Divers Puerto Viejo Scuba Video

ok- we'll be there in May 3-8th where to stay in PV?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom