A biased opinion on Costa Rica - assistance in planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abdiver:
Looking out towards Monkey head from the master bed room. Will be there in November.

Wow, that is nice! I think you need someone to babysit that place whilst you are not there :wink: :D

We've had a foreign exchange student from Costa Rica live with us for the past semester, and she wants us to come visit her when she goes home. Thanks for the info, and I'll be sure to use your recommendations when we start planning our trip.
C-Dawg

CRDP, the Association of Costa Rica Dive Professionals. We make Costa Rica a safe dive destination.

In order to provide the best quality diving, the dive shops and their friends of the papagayo gulf set up the Association of Costa Rican Dive Professionals.
Consisting of several local dive shops and professionals from Playas del Coco, Playa Hermosa, Playa Panama and Ocotal, the budding association intends to share member resources to improve the level of safety and service offered to divers.

Their webpage is listed above. I highly reccomend using it.

Not to sound like a wet blanket, but after 8 dives at the Catalinas, stayed at Flamingo Marina resort for 8 days, and then 4 days in at Arenal volcano in-land, I don't think we'll go back to costa Rica.

Don't get me wrong, beautiful country, "good" diving but not great, there are just "Better" places to go. We liked our trip, but depending on what you're wanting to see I still prefer carribean diving better. LOTS of nudibranchs, but very few corals. 30 foot viz, we did see 3 mata rays for about 8 seconds each, no sharks, some big schools of jacks and trevalys, but the barren volcanic rock structure and cold water just wasn't my thing, and I'm used to Seattle Puget Sound diving, so I'm used to low viz and cold water. 8 dives in CR was enough to see the same stuff again and again. Your milage may vary. The zip line canopy tours were fun, but wouldn't do it again. ATV and horse back riding on the beach was fun. Inland waterfall rapelling was a blast at Arenal, and tons of birds to see in the trees.

Back to Roatan Honduras again for our next trip. Just my opinion, CR was great, but wouldn't go back there again.

Hey Rocky when did you go? No sharks? None at all? Very odd. Sorry you didn't get to see all that I have. That is a serious bummer .

thanks for the info!!

just in time for me to start planning :)

i'm going to cocos in july, so i was starting to wonder what the heck would i do around san jose. thanks again!

thanks for the info!!

just in time for me to start planning :)

i'm going to cocos in july, so i was starting to wonder what the heck would i do around san jose. thanks again!

Ooooh whitewater rafting for near SanJose - that is so awesome!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Costa Rica, buy you can see my sig line to other places I've been.

We were there 2 weeks, Dec 13th-25 2007. Wife saw one fleeting glimpse of a shark.

The mantas, nudibranchs and huge schools of 2' jacks and trevaly fish made up for the lack of corals.......

Enjoy the pics...

Attachments

• PC184006asml.JPG
    PC184006asml.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 71
  • PC184029asml.JPG
    PC184029asml.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 77
  • PC184038asml.JPG
    PC184038asml.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 80
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/