A beginner asks: why slung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

19cf is the minimum size if you dive to 100ft and want some time to solve the problem, do a normal ascent, safety stop, and have a little bit of reserve left over.
13cf will be just barely enough if you don't immediately start your ascent.

The 13cf and 19cf bottles have the same diameter, and do not differ too much in weight. The 30cf bottle is quite a bit larger and heavier.

I am of the camp where you don't bring more gear than is really necessary.
More gas is better, but where does it stop? Why not get a 40cf tank? The 30cf and 40cf aren't too much different. Or why not just dive doubles? And a stage just to be safe?

If you are going to do typical recreational dives and want the reassurance of a redundant air source that will take you back to the surface, get a 19cf bottle.

Slung has all the advantages mentioned above. Pony style gets it out of the way.
Slinging it is OK once you get used to it, it's quite comfortable. If I were to bring one I would sling it, but that's because I'm now used to diving with deco bottles, etc. and this is also true for many who give advice here. I used to dive with a pony mount and was quite happy with it, and don't think the sling style is unconditionally superior.

BTW, if you want to go the pony route, the Tigermount is the best mounting system I know.

Thanks again to all for the good info.
I had a dive planned this week and was going to borrow a pony and mounting system to try.
Unfortunately we were weathered out.
Hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom