A beautiful day for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Got two in today. Third and fourth with friend's A70. Finding it not as fool-proof as my A20 and another friend says same...macro focussing seems to not be 100% consistent. Could still be user error :) LOL But am getting some good shots, too.

Perfectly calm seas and tremendous top to bottom viz this afternoon after a bit of a blowy start to the day. Viz underwater is good, but there are still tons of floaties and food stuffs in the water so makes it a bit challenging.

This pic isn't going to win any awards for photo technique, but I like him so thought I would share. Maybe later I will go into Photoshop and see what can be done to help it along.

Happy diving!

I like the croc fish. I've never seen anything quite like it. You'll be surprised at what you can do with either Elements in the quick Fix mode or with the "mandrake" process with this image.
Thanks for sharing.
TedJ

alcina, you sure enforce the myth (fact) that Australia has some of the strangest creatures on the planet. That is one of them. Nice pic.
I'm glad you can get out to dive cause it's 7 AM here (Sat) and still raining as it has been for the last 3 days.
I'm thinking I will need to use my kayak just to get to the supermarket :help:

Here's what I mean. Please keep in mind that I only had the small jpg file to work with and I did it fast, but you can get the idea that there is a lot of color in these photos that just needs to be brought out.

All I did here was open (in PS) image/adjustments/levels

in the levels dialog box, use the drop down menu to see a choice of RGB, Red, Green, and Blue. Play with the sliders in each of the colors (mostly the green in this case). After the color is how you like it, adjust the total tonality with the RGB slider.

Don't worry about numbers or anything - just play til it looks like you remember it and with any color casts gone. It's just a matter of doing it to all of your pics, taking your time, until eventually you instinctfully know what is needed.

And always start with your original, because it has more information to work with. And every time you save a file, save it as a full sized PSD or TIF so you won't lose quality. When you want to post it, then crop, sharpen, and save (with the save for web function in the file menu) as a jpg

Hope this helps you to get started...

crocodile.jpg

Wow...what differences! Now I can really see what you mean about personal preferences. I have to admit, though, that I actually like the original - I didn't see this guy til I swam over him and had to go back, so I think he blends in better here. I also really like the one using Gilligan's/mandrake process. Tortuga's is so awesome - he jumps off at you. Not sure I am comfortable with it, but I really like it as an option!

I have Gilligan's link - haven't tried it yet, but have some shots in a file ready to go. One question...will it work in Version 6 as I see it was written for V7??

Back
Top Bottom