A 2-frieghter near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaardappel

Registered
Reaction score
Diving the wreck "America" on the Saint Lawrence River (go here for more info [http://www.scubadiving.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=4136&pop=1&page=0]) this Columbus Day weekend. Went out with Moe of Hunt's Dive Shop. On the way out to the America (our 2nd dive of the day), he warned us that if we heard approaching freighter traffic--follow the line across the bottom back to the anchor and get back to the boat quickly. My dive buddy Shawn Rohan and I were aware from the radio traffic that a few freighters were approaching, but thought we'd make it down and back in time. It was getting foggy and raining hard, so visibility was limited.

The America is only about 75 feet deep at the lowest point, so we planned to go down the anchor line, across and down the football-field bottom line to the wreck (takes you across to middle of the shipping lane), and to circle the wreck twice and go underneath looking at the steam engine of the overturned barge. It didn't go as planned.

Shawn and I beat feet quickly down the bottom line to the wreck, oriented ourselves, then pulled ourselves around the barge from bow to stern in about 15 minutes. As we were peering underneath the stern of the barge, we heard a couple of deep rumblings. We looked at each other and looked upward...didn't see anything and continued exploring the barge. After a few seconds, we heard a repeat of the rumblings and I shoved off of the barge and floated about 10 feet away, looking upward. Shawn immediately new what we were encountering and grabbed real-estate on the wreck.

In the next three minutes, we were passed overhead by two passing, 700-foot-plus freighters. They can draw about 25 feet of water fully loaded, and due to the immediate silt-out and low-light conditions from the screws and mass of the passing freighters (they passed each other right above us), we had no idea how close they were. It was a heck of an experience.

By the time I realized what was going on, I swam against an increasingly strong current from the ships' propeller wash and was able to grab onto the wreck next to Shawn. We held onto that thing in disbelief that it was happening, and did our best to manage not laughing our regulators out of our mouths.

When we surfaced, about 25 minutes later after some additional bottom time, Moe (the shop owner and boat Captain) told us that he'd feared we were dead and hadn't seen anyone weather out 2 freighters at once in such a short distance away in his life.

Hell of a ride. Don't recommend it to anyone, and if it's foggy--factor your air consumption into a prolonged stay on the bottom should you hear oncoming freighter screws.

Would be interested in hearing about anyone else's overhead passings and how they managed it too.

--John

It was a heck of a ride.

I was diving the America once when we heard a freighter passing nearby. That deep rumbling goes straight to your gut. It passed I think about 100' away, but another one I saw a little while later on the boat ride back was drafting about 30'.

That's totally wild.

In July on the America, my buddy and I were surfacing at our boat from the line. We came up and the people on the boat were saying "Go down, go down!" We went down, not really knowing what was going on. But then we heard it and felt it - a huge thundering noise and we were flapping wildly on the line. We had to wait a while for it to pass.

Afterwards our DM told us that they told us to go down because it was a huge freighter and we would have crashed into the boat badly because of the wake if we had tried to go up the ladder or were near the boat.

I've been on the America several times and I've never had that happen before. I certainly knew not to ascend anywhere but on the line and to treat it like an overhead environment because it is in the middle of the shipping channel. But that freaked me out a bit right at our boat. I wonder how close it would have had to have been to cause that kind of wake?

with all these near misses, i think i'll forego when/if i'm in your neck of the woods. :wink: got any pics of the area? it must be an exceptional dive!

Gecko2gecko,

Here's a photo of the shipping lane above the wreck of the "America". You anchor just next to the green (looks black in this photo) buoy, then swim along the bottom until you are directly underneath the shipping lane where this freighter is passing overhead. 2nd photo is a zoom showing the bow of another freighter between the green buoy and the Singer Castle (in the background).

--John

Here's a photo of the wreck where we hung on as the freighters passed overhead. Great website on Saint Lawrence wrecks at:

http://www.coltcreekdiving.com/gregspage/index.html

The guy who has this page has done an outstanding job capturing not only photos but dive-guide quality diagrams of each wreck.

--John

gecko2gecko:
it must be an exceptional dive!

I guess we must look crazy to dive in that area. The America is usually paired with the Keystorm on a charter, which is really an exceptional wreck. Quite intact, beautiful, with lots of easy penetration opportunities. So much so that we Ontarians/Quebecers take a charter through US Customs at Boldt Castle to dive them! We usually spend a weekend in Brockville Ontario and dive lots of great wrecks on our Canadian side, and spend a day on the US side as well.

Oh, did we mention that the St. Lawrence River is the closest we have to warm water in these parts?! In the summer, the surface temps are mid-70's and the bottom temps are low 70's - no thermocline! Very different when we expect mid-40's in our lakes... :icon10: The rest of the wrecks don't have this traffic problem though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom