9 year old diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this mentioned in passing, and perhaps I'm just showing my ignorance here...

Since the effects of pressure and gas on the body are something that we are still learning about all of these years later, I'd be concerned about what it means to a still-developing body and nervous system. I'm guessing there is very little data on this...?

That's just the shop owner and has nothing to do with SSI. You can certainly refuse anybody you think wouldn't be safe.

flots

I can, if I can give justifiable reason top the owner. Otherwise I must accept the class as it is, or seek instructor employment elsewhere. Honestly though, the owner WILL back me up, if there is just cause.

The age limits are set by the RSTA, which sets the "umbrella standards" of the other different training agencies. In the past few years, SSI (I assume under the RSTA) has really reduced what we can do with juniors under 12. The student to instructor ratios have been reduce to 2:1 & no extras,... even with certified assistants.

Do you mean to say the WRSTC? If so, the WRSTC does not set any standards; the agencies set their own standards (some by elected officials, others not, but perhaps with some member support), and the WRSTC will set the bar based on what its members agree to do. The organization was created to help the agencies legitimize themselves.

As an instructor there are several factors to consider. First is his age. He will likely have to qualify for the minimum age required by any particular training agency. That's a hard and fast rule. There are some agencies out there that start training at 10. Second, what is his maturity level and is he comfortable in the water? And I mean REALLY comfortable!!! I make sure my students are completely honest with me about their apprehensions, fears and anything else that goes on in their mind knowing I cannot help them in a panic if I don't plan for it and they haven't confided in me. And the most important third factor, who is training you, what are their experience levels, who is responsible in the event of a problem, and do they have backup safety divers right there to handle any issues???? I teach 4 - 6 students (mostly adults) at a time. I have at least 2 and probably 3-4 backup safety divers along for the ride. I don't have eyes in the back of my head and problems can occur in split-seconds which I won't see immediately. They are strategically placed on both sides of the students and in the rear while I navigate from the front of the line. That way I have several sets of eyes on them at all times. They are all AOW trained and in some cases DM and Instructor trained. Take no chances on your son's life just for the thrill of it. SNUBA is a great idea and is a very controlled situation. Perhaps breathing on scuba in a pool that is not over his head and where he can stand up is a better option there! While I can teach 10 year olds, I don't unless they are an overwhelmingly exceptional kid. And even then I would do it privately without any other distractions from divers or students. Just my thoughts!

Folks I just have to add a tiny bit of personal experience in here.
My familly ALL love to dive and want to dive. barring lil miss 20 who would if she could given she tried to jump off the boat when we aqll got in the water.
What Ive noticed is that as the kids have got older their ability to clear their ears has gotten better. (sorry for the bad english).
I agree with the arguement that as they are older they are also more experienced divers but I do feel that they are physically more able to clear so avoiding a sqeaze.
I had 5 kids in the water descending at the same time a week ago. watching them it was clear that the affectsof pressure were felt earlier and more intensely by the smaller kids.

Happened to come across this thread while researching for a dive for my 9 year old son. My son did an open water dive (9 m max) and really enjoyed it. The key in my experience however was how much he enjoyed the confined dives in the swimming pool and I cannot stress enough, his learning of the equipment use, diving signs, ability to equalise the ears and get rid of water from the mask and regulators. He did a dive along with an instructor and me.

I have done dives before and I can add a tip here for amateur divers which I have to say surprisingly none of the instructors mention. One big discomfort to kids particularly but even adults is the burning in the eyes if the water is too salty when the water gets into the mask and eyes. When blowing out the water from the mask, first be sure that you or the instructor is holding on to your kid’s arm and then have your kid CLOSE his eyes before blowing out the water. That way the sea water does not enter the eyes and cause the burning discomfort from the saltiness.

Back
Top Bottom