82 Year Old Diver "DAN dropped me" Needs Dive Insurance???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very unfortunate, but there's basically nothing you can do about it. Insurance companies don't want to take the risk. I recently tried to buy basic medical travel insurance for my parents-in-law, who are in their early 70s, and found that some insurance companies just won't insure the elderly.

"From what I understand they didn't actually drop him, they just wouldn't renew him."

And the difference is?
RichH
It is just like car insurance (or house insurance, or group insurance purchased by your employer, or a cell phone plan...). You buy a 1 year deal. Both you and the insurer are locked in for the year. You & they have a contract. During the contract, they can not drop you, You also can not drop them. You both made a commitment.

When the contract expires, everybody starts all over. You can decide to walk away and try a different insurer. Similarly, the insurance company can decide they do not like you anymore and say "no thanks".

Age is a big reason for an insurance company to say no.

My standard travel insurance (Dutch) covers evac and all medical costs not covered by health insurance. Plus cancellation and all that standard stuff. 15 euros/month for the two of us.

check with a few travel insurance carriers I'd say.

My standard travel insurance (Dutch) covers evac and all medical costs not covered by health insurance. Plus cancellation and all that standard stuff. 15 euros/month for the two of us.

check with a few travel insurance carriers I'd say.
Agreed. You need to do your homework. There are often other (better) options.

I'm guessing someone in the US getting advice from Canada and Holland about insurance for someone in Germany is going to find more confusion than facts. In the US, I'm perfectly happy to pay the DAN price just for them to be there, hold my hand, and pay some of the bills, along with BC/BS and Medicare. If I'm over-insured, I suspect my wife does not care, and I don't either.

I'm guessing someone in the US getting advice from Canada and Holland about insurance for someone in Germany is going to find more confusion than facts. In the US, I'm perfectly happy to pay the DAN price just for them to be there, hold my hand, and pay some of the bills, along with BC/BS and Medicare. If I'm over-insured, I suspect my wife does not care, and I don't either.
Agreed, but the same goes for some one in NY state giving advice to someone in CA.

In the US, insurance is not federally regulated (same in Canada). It is regulated at a state (provincial) level. Each state has different rules. So the coverage sold in each state may be (often is) different. That is why the Dan travel insurance site has the following disclaimer "Coverage available for U.S. Residents Except in FL, IN, NY, WA". This means that the actual insurance company providing the DAN travel insurance (DAN is NOT an insurance company, just a reseller) has not yet obtained approval for those 4 states. Or they have decided that the rules for those 4 states are stupid enough that they can not make money.

We have the same issues in Canada. My Blue Cross travel insurance product is not available in the western provinces. They have a different product.

Agreed, but the same goes for some one in NY state giving advice to someone in CA.

In the US, insurance is not federally regulated (same in Canada). It is regulated at a state (provincial) level. Each state has different rules. So the coverage sold in each state may be (often is) different. That is why the Dan travel insurance site has the following disclaimer "Coverage available for U.S. Residents Except in FL, IN, NY, WA". This means that the actual insurance company providing the DAN travel insurance (DAN is NOT an insurance company, just a reseller) has not yet obtained approval for those 4 states. Or they have decided that the rules for those 4 states are stupid enough that they can not make money.

We have the same issues in Canada. My Blue Cross travel insurance product is not available in the western provinces. They have a different product.
P.S. With DAN, you are more likely to be under insured than over insured. DAN is not a premium product.

To be honest I'm no expert. I'm pretty much covered same as giffenk--Blue Cross that covers scuba accidents -- and outside Canada (like in U.S., where I am a lot) it is also covered under the (costly) out of province emergency care. I hear DAN is very good if you're out in the boonies and need special care, such as a helicopter ride, etc. If you are aware of a hyperbaric chamber close by when you travel (or at home), I can't figure the need for anything besides the Blue Cross. But I'm no expert.

I'm suspicious. Why not simply call DAN and ask them about their age limitations?

It is just like car insurance (or house insurance, or group insurance purchased by your employer, or a cell phone plan...). You buy a 1 year deal. Both you and the insurer are locked in for the year. You & they have a contract. During the contract, they can not drop you, You also can not drop them. You both made a commitment.

When the contract expires, everybody starts all over. You can decide to walk away and try a different insurer. Similarly, the insurance company can decide they do not like you anymore and say "no thanks".

Age is a big reason for an insurance company to say no.

Actually, home and auto insurance can be cancelled by the insured at any time. I have done it several times over the years to go to a company with better pricing. With group insurance you would have to stay as you are not the administrator and have no power. Cell phone plans generally have contractual obligations if the provider supplied any equipment, but I am on month to month as of now.
RichH

Back
Top Bottom