80cuft nitrox cleaned worth it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-QC

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 2 80cuft steel tank ready for their yearly visual. I'm wondering if it's worth it to clean them for nitrox if I want to use them at 100' more often...the real question: is a 80cuft would allow me to stay at 100' with EAN32 to the no-decompression limit which is 20 minutes I think???

I'm not a big breather, but if not then renting a nitrox tank for a 100' dive would be the answer..

What do you guys think I should do???

I would turn them into a set of doubles, then you could spend some time at 100'. First you need to figure your SAC rate and rock bottom, and do a little gas planning to see how much time you can spend. If you dont know how to do that 100' is to deep.

No, Those are no good at all.
Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you at no cost to you
(after you pay the shipping of course)

Brewone0to:
No, Those are no good at all.
Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you at no cost to you
(after you pay the shipping of course)

he right... you should dispose of them. Send them to me though and I'll even pay the shipping :) No cost to you :)

Unless your local provider does partial pressure fills, the tanks don't need to be O2 clean to use recreational Nitrox(EAN40 or less).

Ok Brewone0to Why not!!! I will send them then...and I'll pay for the shipping and give you $200 for that precious info too...:mooner:

At a SAC rate of .76 cu/ft min an AL-80 at 3000psi gets me 17.2 min of bottom time at 100ft before I have to head up, assuming 500psi back at the boat and a 3 min / 15ft stop. A PST E7-120 gets me 29 min of bottom time for the same scenarios. After I pay the boat captain, drive to get there, etc. bottom time is better buying a bigger tank.

Deco time is not assumed for this scenario because you can breathe higher 02 with proper training.

Also what if I have a problem? more air is better.

Spend what you can afford and wil use. How often do will you dive that deep?

Check out this calculation for info.

http://www.hect.net/rock_bottom.xls

just my 2 cents.

rongoodman:
Unless your local provider does partial pressure fills, the tanks don't need to be O2 clean to use recreational Nitrox(EAN40 or less).

But then you would never be able to take them anywhere that does PP fills. Plus your LDS might make you get them cleaned regarldess of how they are filled. Some are funny that way.

Back
Top Bottom