800m mask/fins/snorkel for the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is easier in open water if you can go 400m turn around and return. It slows you way down doing turns in a pool with fins on. Just my opinion. I did all my swim tests one after the other in a small pool that was green and 78F. It sucked.

Just getting yourself into shape to get the 800m in a good time will enable you to trim time from all your other swims and increase your total score without having to do anything extra. Even if you have to do some of them over to better your time it will benefit you in the long run.

You can do it if you really want it.

stephhhhh:
"You can also swim on your back which will place the fins a little lower in the water and allow you to rest while still advancing."
I thought about that one, but then what is the point of having a mask and a snorkel then....

Can I just ask my Instru that I don't want to do it again?

I've been swimming every single day since 3 weeks now...! I'm in shape so why is my time soooo bad...!!!

By the way, I used regular fins. I think it could be easier for me to keep my head out of the water without using the mask and snorkel.

But the 800 is a "mask/fins/snorkle" swim, so I'm not sure that you can do it on your back, nor with your head out of the water.

You wouldn't want to do it with your head out of the water. That's more work and much slower for sure.

You want to do this in open water for sure. 800m would be a 32 turns in a pool. If you lost 4 seconds per turn that'd cost you more than two minutes just turning around.

Also, if it's PADI it's "no arms" for sure.

Jake:
I'm with everyone else. This is a confined water test. It is a no-hands test. Perhaps your instructor should be taking the DM class with you again as a refresher in how to follow standards.

There's nothing in PADI that says "confined water" means a pool. The swimming area of a lake or quarry can be considered confined water.

Open water would likely be more difficult because of the possibility of waves and current. There is no stated limit to number of attempts, and no stated interval between atempts. I still say your instructor sounds in need of remedial standards training.

There are four exercises that evaluate
stamina and waterskills, each
rated by points. There is no passing
score for any single exercise, but
a combined score of 12 or more is
required prior to certification. In
addition, candidates must complete
all exercises prior to certification.
Candidates who fall short of a
combined score of 12 may be given
time to practice and develop their
abilities while continuing in other
areas of the course.

I really think the 800 M swim is about aerobic conditioning and leg strength, and not about technique. I did my test in a 25M pool with my Atomic Splits (pre DIR days!). They seemed to work great. If I could recommend one prep thing for the 800M it would be to run, and do leg workouts at the gym. On the other hand, for the 400M, take swimming lessons.

Mark

on the form part, you would be even more hydrodynamic on your side with one hand extended as far as possible and the other at your side. This glide part is very important in distance swimming. However, without using arms, it might be hard holding one hand out there for that long, and unless you have a scewy snorkle, it might be hard keeping it out of the water.

Have you been a the pool every day, practicing the kick? If not, chances are you won't pass, since you apparently weren't able to do it the first time.

SparticleBrane:
Have you been a the pool every day, practicing the kick? If not, chances are you won't pass, since you apparently weren't able to do it the first time.

I've been practicing everyday in open water the 800m and the 400m for about 1 month and half now. I'll take the test tomorrow.
Don't tell me "I won't pass", I'm having nightmares everynight because of this test!:light:

I'm 57 years old, overweight and work behind a desk. A few weeks ago, after the last round of people worried about the distance swim and distance fin requirement I started an exercise program at the local Y. Out of curiosity, on my first day, I tried a 400 meter swim (side stroke) which I completed in just under 8 minutes. On my second day I tried a 800 meter fin session, that took a little over 11 minutes. For someone who is comfortable in the water it’s just not that big a deal.

I don’t mean to discourage you, but if you don’t have the minimal water skills required by the program perhaps you should rethink your goals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom