8 changes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had that in Thailand. Had my back to the DM after I completed my buddy check. There was a delay whilst we moved dive sites, in the in-between the DM turned my valve off.

Had a similar experience. I was gearing up with my group on GC for a shore dive. I turned my air full on waiting for the rest of the group and was talking to someone in the group a few steps away. When I put on my BC and took my test breaths the SPG dropped to zero. Some tank monkey minding my business rather than his own effed with my gear. I absolutely hate it when someone touches my gear. Had I seen the guy I would have reamed him a new a&&@*?#

Had a similar experience. I was gearing up with my group on GC for a shore dive. I turned my air full on waiting for the rest of the group and was talking to someone in the group a few steps away. When I put on my BC and took my test breaths the SPG dropped to zero. Some tank monkey minding my business rather than his own effed with my gear. I absolutely hate it when someone touches my gear. Had I seen the guy I would have reamed him a new a&&@*?#

Same thing happened to me last week. A DM turned my air off, his procedure was for him to turn all tanks on himself in the boat after gearing up. I gave him an irritated look and told him to at least let me know next time. Frankly I just like being the last person to touch my tank valve.

"Air off unless it's on your back" is a common policy for at least a few dive ops in Thailand that I've seen.

The reason given is that, with air on throughout the surface interval, a small leak can drain a tank down to half pressure. Leaks are not an especially rare occurrence with rental regs that don't get rinsed on a regular basis.

"Air off unless it's on your back" is a common policy for at least a few dive ops in Thailand that I've seen.

The reason given is that, with air on throughout the surface interval, a small leak can drain a tank down to half pressure. Leaks are not an especially rare occurrence with rental regs that don't get rinsed on a regular basis.

Makes sense but in my case it wasn't dive op policy as I have gone with them many times and I was into several dives this trip. I think the DM just had his own procedure. Which is fine- but in the very least tell me you are going to shut my tank off.

A leak that can drain an AL80 (or larger) down to half pressure over a 45 min surface interval is not small by any means.

A leak that can drain an AL80 (or larger) down to half pressure over a 45 min surface interval is not small by any means.
Yep, and I actually disagree with that reasoning, though I do understand it. I've seen leaking never-rinsed second stages drain gas without much noise.

I prefer the protocol of assembling the gear, opening and closing the valves, checking if the gauges still show full pressure in a couple minutes, then looking for the leak or opening the valves again.

I liked the article. I find it difficult to get to my husband's weight belt under his BCD and that makes me nervous. I use a Zena - which has the threaded weight pockets - but I routinely take out each weight pocket as I end a dive and hand them up to the boat. I don't ever want to have to rethread those pockets if I can take out the pouches - but I will if I have to.

Picture this. Your buddy is wearing a weight belt AND a crotch strap. You unhook the weight belt, which falls to the crotch strap that you forgot was there because - well, you're stressed. Now you have another issue to deal with calmly. Another reason for me to prefer weight integrated BC's.

But much of it is personal preference.

Your buddy is wearing a weight belt AND a crotch strap. You unhook the weight belt, which falls to the crotch strap that you forgot was there because - well, you're stressed. Now you have another issue to deal with calmly. Another reason for me to prefer weight integrated BC's.

Weight belt merits aside, weight belt + crotch strap seems like a remarkably bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom