8-18-07 Santa Cruz Island pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Last day, we did 3 dives at Santa Cruz Island. First two were Flame Rock, last one was Nudibranch City.

This is a terrible picture, but was the best one of this giant pile of huge Sea Hares. Unfortunately, my wife squeezed one to try to show me the purple ink spew and it spit out a bunch of crud that turned into hideous backscatter on the rest of the shots. There must have been five or six, with a giant pile of eggs next to them, and they were all bigger than your typical housecat.
P8180028-02pssm.jpg

Fringehead, Yellow fin, I think.
P8170066-02croppssm.jpg

Peltodoris Nobilis
P8170035-01sm.jpg

Giant Kelpfish
P8180012-02pssm2.jpg

Spanish Shawl
P8180010-02sm.jpg

Couple of Reef Scenes
P8180038-01pssm.jpg

P8180018-02pssm.jpg

P8180041-01pssm.jpg

...and finally, a few of my feeble attempts at wide angle. First day was terrible, but I got my settings better and improved a bit by the end of the trip.
P8170077-02pssm.jpg

P8170057-04sm.jpg

P8180054-01pssm.jpg

P8180049-01pssm.jpg

Larry.

I Must say this correctly so that you know it is said KINDLY!!

I dont know what your vis was but the first four are okay, But not LARRY Quality!!!

The next make up for it though my freind, That nudi and the rest are fantastic!!

Very nice pictures Larry, What where your conditions like anyway??

Dont shoot me next time I am at breakwater with you Larry:D

Love to see another diver in the Chuck Taylor club!

These brought back great memories of our dives on Anacapa. You guys sure have some pretty spots down there.

Larry C:
Last day, we did 3 dives at Santa Cruz Island. First two were Flame Rock, last one was Nudibranch City.

"Unfortunately, my wife squeezed one to try to show me the purple ink spew and it spit out a bunch of crud that turned into hideous backscatter on the rest of the shots."

That's ok. I am sure she would do the same if the tables were turned. :D

As always, beautiful pictures Larry. I am contemplating a liveaboard (on the Truth) in November and this might have just sealed the deal. I have been longing to get back for a while now....

Thanks Sarita, Covediver, Andy, TS & M

Jim Ernst:
Larry.

I Must say this correctly so that you know it is said KINDLY!!

I dont know what your vis was but the first four are okay, But not LARRY Quality!!!

The next make up for it though my freind, That nudi and the rest are fantastic!!

Very nice pictures Larry, What where your conditions like anyway??

Dont shoot me next time I am at breakwater with you Larry:D

Jim, I realize those aren't up to normal quality. I posted them because for me, they were unusual subjects. Those Sea Hares were the first I've ever seen, but looked like a hideous brown pile. Then, with the white crud spewing out, all the light just bounced back in my face. I couldn't get a good shot. The others were hiding and moving. The Giant Kelpfish was hiding in kelp, going in, out, under. I was lucky to get two shots, and that was the better one. The yellowfin was a crop of a much larger pic, that's why the detail isn't there. He didn't stick around. I got two shots from about 5 feet, but I've never seen the whole thing, out of a hole before, so I used it. No offense taken.

Larry C:
Thanks Sarita, Covediver, Andy, TS & M

Jim, I realize those aren't up to normal quality. I posted them because for me, they were unusual subjects. Those Sea Hares were the first I've ever seen, but looked like a hideous brown pile. Then, with the white crud spewing out, all the light just bounced back in my face. I couldn't get a good shot. The others were hiding and moving. The Giant Kelpfish was hiding in kelp, going in, out, under. I was lucky to get two shots, and that was the better one. The yellowfin was a crop of a much larger pic, that's why the detail isn't there. He didn't stick around. I got two shots from about 5 feet, but I've never seen the whole thing, out of a hole before, so I used it. No offense taken.

OOOO...... So those where a pain in the @$#% shots to get in othere words!! LOL!

Larry, once I got smart and went back and reread your post I understood better as well, But they still arent normal larry shots ,LOL, You do know of course that I am just picking on you. I didnt even notice how big those sea hares where till you said that. And tell the wife to stop causing you backscatter!!

Again your pictures are great as always and keep up the great work.

How was you trip by the way??

nice pix, dry suits ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jim, trip was great. The Vision has a terrific crew, food was plentiful and wonderful (although people will tell you that the eggs benedict definitely didn't agree with me on day two) We didn't get to all the best spots, because many had 2-3 knot current when we got there, but the ones we did were all very nice.

Deeper Thoughts, we were sweating in our drysuits. Couldn't wait to peel them down. Some of the thermoclines at 40 feet and above were truly and visibly amazing. Topside, it was well up into the 70's and even 80's. 40 feet and above we had temps in the 60's, some high. Even down at 100 feet in open ocean on Farnsworth Bank, I think it was about 57.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom