8-17 Catalina Island Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Doug and Ken.

parabolic:
But you left out the black sea bass :). ++Ken++
:( Still haven't seen one. Last year, a couple of our divers saw them at a distance on one of the Islands, but wherever we drop, they just haven't been around. Had my WA lens on a lot, too!

Nice pix. I almost always go into deco at Farnsworth since there is always something else to film. We were supposed to go there Friday, but no one signed up at Scuba Luv for the trip. Sniff.

Great shots Larry!

What's that little gobie looking thing under the Adult Treefish, to the left of the Sea Urchin?

-Mark-

Thanks Dr.Bill, and thanks Mark. Dr. Bill, I'm a great proponent of 3,2,1...oh just one more shot! My Vytek hates me.

konasdad:
What's that little gobie looking thing under the Adult Treefish, to the left of the Sea Urchin?

-Mark-
Looks like a Black-eyed Goby, Mark. I didn't even notice it! I've had some great pictures that way. You shoot a reef scene and there's some fish you've never shot before peeking out of a hole when you get it on your computer screen. Funny how I never notice them on the 2.5" camera screen isn't it? Or my buddy pointed out something white moving in a hole. I just shot on spec, and it turned out to be a yellow-fin fringehead having a meal. Great pic too. My other buddy who's never shot one was way jealous.

You shoot a reef scene and there's some fish you've never shot before peeking out of a hole when you get it on your computer screen.

I understand completely. My last two dives was the first time I've use my new digital camera (underwater). I don't think I really saw much of anything while I was down. Unfortunately for me, my photos didn't come out anything like your's so I didn't even get to see it later.

Hopefully when I become a better diver and more experience with a camera underwater I can acheive a better balance between "seeing" while I'm down and also have some decent photos to look at later.

I do think that the "serendipitous" shots are more than luck. You have to put yourself in the right place at the right time (with the right dive buddy?) and then there's the having/getting you camera set up correctly too.

I plan on heading over to Catalina fairly soon to dive. Hope I'll get to see half of what you did!

-Mark-

Larry C:
Looks like a Black-eyed Goby, Mark. I didn't even notice it!

That's correct.

I don't think I've ever seen a black sea bass at Farnsworth, although that doesn't mean they can't be there. This time of the year they are usually in shallower nearshore waters and Farnsworth is about 1.5 mi offshore and surrounded by deep water. I have seen the bass around other pinnacles here, but they are much closer to shore.

The only Sea Bass in close proximity were last year at a place called Black Seabass cove. It was the last day, and I think it might have been San Miguel Island. Our other dives that day were at Coral Pinnacle and Donna's Reef if that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom