7mm wetsuit in the tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nevennett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Excuse me if this has been posted before. . .

I have a 7mm Beuchat Focea Comfort 2 wetsuit for diving in the temperate waters of NZ (range 14-22C). It's by far and away the best suit I have ever used.

Thing is I have an upcoming liveaboard trip to the GBR. 24-28C water as I understand. The temptation is to take all my temperate water setup because I know it well. Would I be completely crazy to use a 7mm wetsuit here?

There are good options to buy 3mm wetsuits at great prices (NZ$ is strong right now) but I just can't see myself choosing a 3mm wetsuit over my lovely 7mm in NZ, so it all seems a little wasteful. Not that I don't absolutely LOVE acquiring new gear of course!

Thanks in advance

Nick

It depends which month you are planning to dive on the GBR as the water temperature varies from month to month. When I dived there in June, the water was 22-24 deg C, and I definitely needed a 7mm - on some dives, I was even cold. If the water temp will be 24-26 or even 27 when you go, I'd say you'll be more comfortable in a 7mm, especially if that's what you're used to. Of course, the down side to the thick wetsuits is that they're such a pain to get on and off. Ultimately, you're the best judge of what water temperatures you start to feel the cold in, of course!

I have a 7mm semi. My last trip to the RedSea the water was a pretty constant 26c even at 30m. At the end of the week after 2-3 dives a day I was getting cold at the end of the dives. It is a pain to get on and off but glad I had it.

I don't get cold in 15-17C in this suit, really don't feel the cold much at all. Quite the converse, I don't like being overly warm on the surface much. Can you get TOO hot in a suit?

Ohh and another thought, what do you think about the option of a shorty? Makes me think I am a kid again :D

But seriously, the idea of buying a suit I can use with my 7mm if I go really cold (NZ in late winter) has it's appeals. . .

But full body coverage from nasty stings and bites isn't to be sniffed at either!

If you are already warm in a 7mm suit in 15 - 17C, you are likely to be too warm in 24+ water temp in the same suit. Divers aclimate to their dive conditions. Instructors working the dive boat in Hawaii in the winter use the same wetsuit and get cold as a diver diving Monterey, CA in the summer who stays warm. One diver is used to diving 26'C water and feels cold and needs a warmer suit when the water temp drops to 24. While the other diver is used to diving 12C water and feels really warm when the water temp rises to 14C.

I do most of my diving in Monterey, CA, but use a drysuit for 12C water. When I go to warmer climates, I prefer a shorty for 26C, but use a 3mm for 24C. You might consider using a layering approach of a 2mm Shorty and a 1mm thermalskin. One thing to remember about GBR is the jellies. The 1mm full suit will add a little warmth, but more importantly will protect you from the jellies.

I've gone with a 3mm waterproof wetsuit. Should hopefully arrive in the next few days. I have high hopes it will be fine for NZ summer diving, given I don't feel the cold much. Will be nice to try and streamline my setup and lose some lead!

I'll let you know what I think of the suit. Quite where I am going to take it for a test swim during a NZ winter I'm not sure... although a quick dip at the beach might be on the cards.... should be about 14-15 degrees :)

I figure with the intensive diving regime on the GBR - up to 5 dives a day - the 3mm (actually 3.5mm) thickness will be about right.

G'day mate, I am originally from NZ, Im pretty small and had to get a suit custom made, 2 piece 7mm was ok anything down to about 17-18 degrees, much lower than that and i got pretty cold pretty quick so would stop diving around May/June. Did a dive at Lake Pupuke in September, water was 11 degrees and i was freezing called the dive after less than 20mins. For me NZ is Drysuit territory even in summer, I mean the temp rarely goes above 22 degrees. I dive a 5mm in SEA, I just bought a 3mm for Indonesia but am a little concerned given my low tolerance for cold it may be too light. Even if you have a high tolerance for cold id be recommending a 5mm 24-26 is not that warm especially if doing multiple days, its easy to open the neck and flush some cool water in if you get too warm, there's not much you can do if you're too cold. I've done a bit of diving in Perth and even in summer I would not have wanted to be in anything less than 7mm. For me nothing ruins a dive like being too cold. Hope you enjoy ya trip, I've never been to GBR but it's on my list. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom