7mm wetsuit for a tall very skinny person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MontereyDiver-Chris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ive run into a probelm as i started to dive more and deeper in Monterey, the wetsuit I rent from my LDS is too short for me. there is maby an inch of skin from where by booties end and the suit starts, the same is true for my arms. The problem is that on the sizing chart a person who is 6 feet tall and up to 195 pounds will fit into a M-L Bare wetsuit. This is a problem because I only weigh 150 tops. Is there a wetsuit company that makes wetsuits for very skinnny people or are there a few tricks that I could do so I would fit into a ML wetsuit?

Get a drysuit! Really you just said the key words, "more" and "deeper", which is where an off the shelf wetsuit fails. FWIW the temps today at Lobos were reported to be 49 degrees. We have dove in 43 degree water on the North Coast, and often see 46 degrees.

If you really insist on a wetsuit, then have Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey make you a custom one. At least it will fit and be warmer at depth, but you still won't be as warm as a drysuit diver.

What Peter said.

But also consider a custom 7 mm Farmer John from AquaFlite. Www.aquaflite.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How forgiving are drysuits as far a growing goes? Its a lot of money to drop so I was hoping to wait until Im sure I have stopped growing. But if drysuits have 2-3 inches of give as far as height changes go then I might get one.

DUI and most others have telescoping torsos. Buy a used suit, and use it as long as you can, then resell it for almost what you paid.

Didn't know they had telescoping torsos, ill start looking around localy. Thanks for your help.

If by locally you mean craigslist then yes, but also check ebay, and boards like this one! Although you do need to know what size to get first.

A dry suit also gives you the option of thicker or thinner underwear to suit the water temperature. I don't know if getting an overly-tall suit is a good idea. I have heard stories of poor compensation leading to the dry suit feet and fins blowing off of the diver's feet - but I don't know if the stories are true. Also, consider a suit that does not change buoyancy with depth i.e. crushed neoprene or a Viking.

^There is a lot of misinformation in that post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom