7mm VS 9mm - Newbie with no knowledge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go DRY... nothing to wonder about...
In Norway... We (At least those with a slight bit of sanity...) dive dry.
And for your wifes comfort... get her in a drysuitclass as the first thing you do after OW. (We teach all our OWstudents in drysuits, so as soon as possible will make it easier...)
And.. she will absolutely love getting to just zip off her drysuit, hop in dry shoes and put a beanie on, and be lovely warm and toasty after the dive!!

Go DRY... nothing to wonder about...
In Norway... We (At least those with a slight bit of sanity...) dive dry.
And for your wifes comfort... get her in a drysuitclass as the first thing you do after OW. (We teach all our OWstudents in drysuits, so as soon as possible will make it easier...)
And.. she will absolutely love getting to just zip off her drysuit, hop in dry shoes and put a beanie on, and be lovely warm and toasty after the dive!!

Got her a 7mm and a hooded vest today. If that doesn't work for her, I will get her a dry.

Kan godt tenke meg at dere kun dykker tort der oppe. Spes vinterstid...:)

54 degree water is kinda getting on that cusp of being warm enough for wetsuits or cold enough for drysuits. I would go with dry that way if you need more thermals you can put them on under the drysuit assuming trilam like fusions which I recommend or take some off without knowing where you are I can't see the seasonal trends but I know diving in Vancouver island waters the temps are pretty much 6-8 c (42-46 f) year around. But if I were to guess if your pacific coast I would say your in Cali so that area is an upwelling zone for deep pacific ocean waters and the water temp is not going to change much through the year.

Go dry.
It's not difficult, in fact when I switched from a 7mm semi dry to my drysuit, I actually found it easier.
Certainly you have less restriction in your movement, plus the post dive change in the car park was much more fun.
(I learned to dive in North Wales in winter, 35f water temp)

I just bought a 7mm wet suit today, but my wife wants a 9mm, since she was cold this weekend when we had 3 dives in 54 degree water, with 7mm suits.. What's the downside of a 9mm, if any..? Movement? Price? And where can I find them...?
Sounds like you made the call to go wet, with a 7mm and a hooded vest. But, in case that doesn't fit the bill, let me 'pile on' in support of a drysuit.

For many years, I was firm that, if the water temp was 73 or above, I would wear a 3mm, and if colder than that, a drysuit. I recently amended that, and will wear a 1mm if the water is 80 or above (e.g. Bonaire), and a 5mm down to 68. I see no point in being smothered in a thicker neoprene suit, in which I am still cold. Your wife may be happy being a 'Michelin woman' in thick neoprene suit. But, she may still be cold. If so, and if resources permit, I strongly encourage you to consider a drysuit (not a semi-dry, but a drysuit). Yes, it is more expensive. Yes, there is a learning curve. And, yes, there is nothing like the feeling of diving in cold water and being WARM, and being DRY when you come out on shore / boat. My drysuit is the single best investment I ever made in scuba gear. It is also the single most expensive gear item I own, but worth its weight in gold.

I find my drysuit, even with a thick undergarment, to be much less confining than diving a 5mm Farmer John, with a 5mm shorty over it.

Ok. I am realizing she will just have to get a semi dry or dry, or just dive when the water is getting warmer.

Thanks for all the info:)

Semi drys tend to also be semi wet, although I'm sure some are better than others. If she feels the cold a drysuit would probably be the best option funds permitting, there is not much that ruins a good dive like being cold save fogging mask, running out of air or shark attack:wink:

I feel the cold and wear a 2x 7mm FJ with hood, my local temp hits around 25 and I'm comfortable, once it drops below around 18 I'm out. Am currently saving for a drysuit. I also wear a 5mm in the tropics and am comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom