7mm VS 9mm - Newbie with no knowledge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoRemote

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My wife and I are getting certified these days. I have my last "certification dive" Wednesday morning, and we are starting to put together equipment. I just bought a 7mm wet suit today, but my wife wants a 9mm, since she was cold this weekend when we had 3 dives in 54 degree water, with 7mm suits..

What's the downside of a 9mm, if any..? Movement? Price? And where can I find them...? Looked online, without any luck.
I did some diving in Norway almost 20 years ago, and I seem to remember that we used 9mm back then..?

I bought an Aqua-Lung 7mm "Aquaflex Jumpsuit" today... I don't know the "scuba brands" at all, and I hope I will not regret later....

I think most of the >7mm are multi-thickness (9-8-7 etc) where the chest is thicker than the arms, etc. I add a 3mm vest to my 7mm jumpsuit and I'm still cold in 50F.

Get a 7mm farmer john plus a hooded vest that's all you will need. A farmer John will put 14mm on the upper part of your body + 3mm more with the hooded vest. If someone get cold in that you need a dry suit.

I guess a farmer John could be an option for her, but someone told me it would restrict movement a lot. I never tried one, so I don't know.

It would be nice to know IF there is any 9 mm for sale anywhere, and if anyone have ever used one.

I've never seen a 9mm suit before (happen to be in the market for a new 7mm so I've spent a fair amount of time researching thicker suits). If they are out there, they are exceedingly rare. Beyond 7mm thickness, as stated, you usually only find multi-thickness suits, such as 8/7 or 8/7/6 where the 8 is the chest and back area and the arms and legs are the thinner neoprene. The multi-thickness suits are very often Semidry as well (Henderson, Mares, Bare and Hollis all offer one - I'm sure other do as well). The thickest one piece suit I'm aware of is the Aqualung SolAfx semidry which is advertised as 8mm. If she needs that much thermal protection, but doesn't want a super thick farmer john style, maybe a drysuit is the way to go.

If you need that much thermal protection I think you would be much happier in a drysuit. A drysuit can extend your diving season to 12 months and actually be comfortable doing it. I dive Dry all year now, I find a drysuit is much easier to don/doff than a wetsuit and it is just so much more comfortable to be dry at the end of the dive. You don't need to spend a fortune to dive dry and in some cases it may cost not much more than a semi-dry.

Ok. I am realizing she will just have to get a semi dry or dry, or just dive when the water is getting warmer.

Thanks for all the info:)

If I were you, I would return the wetsuit and go dry. Check out Whites Fusion dry suits. I have a Whites Fusion Tech and a 7+7 Camaro wetsuit. Fusion feels very much like a wetsuit underwater and is not difficult to learn but it gives a much better thermal protection during the dive and comfort on the surface. If you dont need pockets all the time, I'd recommend the Fusion Sport.

Try hooded vest, as the other diver stated. Covers core and keeps cold water off your neck. If that doesn't work...drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom