7mm Turks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, just a quick question... I'll be diving in Turks and Cacaos, the first week in March. I own a Pinnacle 3MM long wet suit, but find I get chilled after first dive, I enjoy three dives a day, with a midweek break, so I'm always shivering. I also own a 7MM, which I use in here in Canada. I get the same results of the shivering, but in much colder waters. The question is, does anyone use a 7MM in the Caribbean? Would I be over doing it? Would I get a few weird looks?

Keep in mind I will be taking off the wet suit, as soon as I get back to the boat, as the sun will cook me when out of the water.

CaNaDiaNCoLd'N'FrEsh,
I typically visited Provo, Turks and Caicos the week after Thanksgiving. The first year, I used a 7 mil shorty, bought a 3 mil for the next year. IMHO, the 3 mil should be fine, leave the 7 mil home. If you are nervous that the 3 mil is not enough, bring a hood. The 7 mil should make you too warm and require more weight.

The water temp varies a bit but not by much, check the web for typical water temps for the week you are going. That might set your mind at ease.

Hope you have a great time - Tom

Take your 7mm if you get cold easily. I use my 7/5 fullsuit in 80F water. Some people look at me funny, but who cares? I'm nice & warm and comfortable enough to do 4-5 hour-long dives/day. I sold my 3mm fullsuit after my first tropical trip when I was shivering 20 minutes into the first dive, in 80F water.

I was warm in a 3/2 wetsuit there...in February, 75 degree water. But then again I like the house at 72 degrees...

Mike

That's all very personal. I was fine in T&C in my Bare 3/2mm Velocity. But that's personal!

You say you get chilled in your 3mm after 1 dive... Where exactly? In T&C? Elsewhere? What temp? That would be usefull info to help judge...

If you're sure you'll get chilled in your 3mm in T&C, then you definetly need more neoprene. Just how much more, is specific to you! I find 7mm too much for that (as said, you'll also need more weights, and have less comfort), but hey, if you think you need way more heat, then maybe it's your ticket (you need to be the judge of that). Then who cares what other think!

But if you feel you just need a little extra heat, then 7mm is probably overkill! You should then look into a 4mm, or maybe a 5/4mm suit. Or if you don't want to buy a new suit, maybe just a thin hooded vest to go under your 3mm (Bare makes a 3mm and a 1mm hooded vest that would work).

It's a hard call and depends on just how chilled you figure you will be suing your 3mm in the T&C waters!

It's kinda funny because I was fine in my 3/2mm in T&C, but use 14mm in the St-Lawrence to avoid getting cold (7mm and 7mm vest).:D

Hope this helps a bit!

Just back from Coz. Water temp 81 all week. 7mil hyperstretch all week. Perfect !!!!
I've been telling my students for some time, Don't be afraid to be warm !

One word --- Hood.

I was cold after 5 days w/ 3-2 + skin.

Vanessar

Hello, just a quick question... I'll be diving in Turks and Cacaos, the first week in March. I own a Pinnacle 3MM long wet suit, but find I get chilled after first dive, I enjoy three dives a day, with a midweek break, so I'm always shivering. I also own a 7MM, which I use in here in Canada. I get the same results of the shivering, but in much colder waters. The question is, does anyone use a 7MM in the Caribbean? Would I be over doing it? Would I get a few weird looks?

Keep in mind I will be taking off the wet suit, as soon as I get back to the boat, as the sun will cook me when out of the water.

You state...." I own a Pinnacle 3MM long wet suit, but find I get chilled after first dive, I enjoy three dives a day, with a midweek break, so I'm always shivering."....................What water temps are you diving???........The most(coolest) it should be there in March (in T&C) is 76 & a 3 mm should be plenty for that.............GEAUX TIGERS.......

How well does your 3mm fit? My guess is that it may be too big in the arms and neck.

I dive in a drysuit in 50 degree weather. I found I stay warmer in a 3mm shorty that fits well, than a 3 mm full suit that gapes in the arms and neck. I can dive in 75 degree water in a shorty, but by the 3rd dive, I start to get cold.

When I was only doing two dives a day, the 3mm suit was fine in the caribbean.
But when I am doing 4 dives or more, I prefer the thicker suit.
I dove turks two years ago and I took my 7/5mm suit since it is further north.
My buddy was going to only bring her 3mm but I suggested she bring her 7mm also.
She used the 3mm on the first dive ... then used the 7mm for the rest of the trip.
How many dives per day, how long are the dives and how much 'bioprene' you have.
Last year, we saw a diver with no wetsuit. But she only did 2 short dives per day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom