7mm suit in Fla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jethroish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looks like my wife and I will be moving to the Jupiter area this summer (job transfer). Anyhow, I just bought a brand new 7mm full suit and was going to order one for my wife. Will we need these down there at anytime (winter months)? We each have full3/2 and 3mm shorties.
Thanks

Just went diving today in 71 degree water... wore my drysuit. I had a 7 up until this year when I got the dry suit.

I routinely dive a 7mm in the springs. It is a bit much for the warm summers, but should be fine for the colder winter water.

Peter

Jethroish:
Looks like my wife and I will be moving to the Jupiter area this summer (job transfer). Anyhow, I just bought a brand new 7mm full suit and was going to order one for my wife. Will we need these down there at anytime (winter months)? We each have full3/2 and 3mm shorties.
Thanks

Just did 10 days of diving, starting in Jupiter, then the Keys, then Crystal River and High Springs area. Wore my 7/5 every time. I was very comfortable, definitely not hot. I think a lot depends on 1) How hot or cold natured you are. 2) What the air temp is when you surface. and 3) How often you're going in. If you get wet and strip off and quit, no big deal. If you are diving all day, you will lose a lot of heat in a 3m. 70 degrees may not sound cold, but remeber that's 28 degrees cooler water than your body, and that sucks a bunch of heat out of you. I've seen a lot of folks wear the thinnest wetsuit they cam, thinking it (I think) looks cool or tough or macho, but I'm just not into being cold on a dive if I don't have to.

That said, I do dive 130' in a lake in SC in a 7/5m when the surface temps are high 40's to low 50's. Gotta get wet, man...

I have been diving a full 7mm and am very happy. Get a good fit, the water exchange is where the difference is made. The winter water here in Florida is 67 to 73. Two dives at 45~60 min gets chilly with a 3mm.

I all most left the 7mm and dry suit back in Ma. when I moved down.
Sure glad they came with me.

I wear a 3/2 with hood in the Springs (67-69). I am very comfortable. When I moved back from Seattle I brought my 1/4" Farmer John. I usually wore the top only and burned up on most dives and then bought the thinner wetsuit and shorties.

A couple of us from Texas wore 7 mil jumpsuits in the Keys in Dec. Certainly was not too much - better a little more than needed than a little less.

Women seem to chill easier than men. Get her one. :thumb:

I wear a 3 mil with a hooded vest in the springs all the time and do not get chilled at all. A lot of it depends on whether you are naturally warm blooded or naturally cold blooded. I like my apartment to be in the 60s (thank God for winter when the luxury doesn't cost anything) some people like the temperature to be in the high 70s. Whether or not a 7mil will be overkill in Florida entirely depends on how easily you get cold. For me a 7 mil in this state would probably be overkill, much cheaper (I am just a poor college student) and easier for me just to put on a hooded vest underneath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom