7mm gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of local dive shops don't sell 7mm gloves, they seem to go to 5mm and stop. I'm looking to get gloves my my OW checkout dives and picked up to 7mm Henderson hyperstretch gloves online, is this overkill? The below is the temp info I found.

• Spring (open April of each year): Surface temperature 58 to 60 degrees, at 30 feet it is 10-15 degrees colder.
  • Summer: Surface temperature 68 to 76 degrees; at 30 feet it is ten degrees colder.
  • Fall: Surface temperature 70 to 76 degrees, at 30 feet it is five degrees colder.

Gloves are certainly a personal preference item, wear what feels good. I like my 5mm gloves from low 50s and my 3mm gloves from low 60's and up.
You will sacrifice dexterity for the added warmth.

7mm gloves may be very difficult to bend. Even some 5mm are uncomfortable to manipulate your gear with. The Henderson Hyperstretch gloves are very soft and pretty warm. I have been comfortable with them down to about 50 degrees.

I have a pair of Henderson Gold Core 7mm's. I actually don't use them that much anymore, but they are nice when the water temp drops below 50. Mostly wear Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm's.

5 mm Gauntlets have done well for me including under the ice. Read more here.

It's also important to have a true 7mm wetsuint, not one of those deals with 5mm sleeves. You need to get the heat out to your hands.

Pete

Gloves are certainly a personal preference item, wear what feels good.

I agree with SoCalSwami. It is a pesonal preference. I'll where my Henderson 7mm suit in temps ranging from 47-75.

You will sacrifice dexterity for the added warmth.

I have Henderson 7mm hyperstretch gloves and feel that I do not lose much dexterity with my equipment. I have and Atom 1.0 and can manipulate the controls w/o a problem while wearing the gloves. I did learn to don the gloves last prior to entering the water. This just makes putting the fins and mask on easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom