7mm 20lb buoyant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How much buoyancy do you find a 7mm full suit provides? I am wearing a Medium and I have tested buoyancy with the 7mm in a swimming pool wearing a full Steel 72 cylinder and find neutral / no air in bladder with the following:

Steel 72 (full): -11 lb (-6 lb empty)
Weight in pouches: -4 lb

If I allow -4 lb for fresh water I assume that puts the suit at +19 lb in saltwater? does that seem reasonable?

If the suit is 19 lbs buoyant, and I allow for 2 lbs of buoyancy for the near empty AL80 I will probably be renting - I'm over 20 lbs.

Are you folks carrying that much weight?

Yup. I carry more (32 with a 7mm/AL80, am XL 220lbs). I think -5 on the AL80 instead of -2 is more reasonable as they are real floaters when empty. I calculate my 7MM as 22lbs (size XL), but there are variances based on age, make, size, etc...

How much buoyancy do you find a 7mm full suit provides? I am wearing a Medium and I have tested buoyancy with the 7mm in a swimming pool wearing a full Steel 72 cylinder and find neutral / no air in bladder with the following:

Steel 72 (full): -11 lb (-6 lb empty)
Weight in pouches: -4 lb

If I allow -4 lb for fresh water I assume that puts the suit at +19 lb in saltwater? does that seem reasonable?

If the suit is 19 lbs buoyant, and I allow for 2 lbs of buoyancy for the near empty AL80 I will probably be renting - I'm over 20 lbs.

Are you folks carrying that much weight?

Yes.

I can tell you that my Bare 7mm step-in hooded vest represents 11 pounds in freshwater. This was from a mesh bag test done after saturating the suit during a dive. Based on that 20 pounds for a 7mm suit is right in the ballpark.

Do not confuse the actual suit buoyancy with your freshwater/saltwater adjustment.

With that Vest, and a 7mm Arctic in Salt water with an E7-80 26 pounds is just right for me.

Being a medium you will wear less rubber, don't mention a vest and have less personal displacement (I'm an XL) but the AL80 will work against you. Your estimate of 20+ makes as much sense as anythng.

Pete

Sounds accurate to me. We just did a weight check in the pool with a student in a semi-dry 7mm with 500psi in an AL80, he wore about 27 pounds and was only slightly deeper than the "float at eye level" recommendation.

I'm 5'7" and 130 pounds and I wear anywhere from 16-20 pounds in my heavier wetsuits (my newer suit needs more lead)
Ber :lilbunny:

I went in a pool this summer with my 7mm and my steel 80HP and a bunch of 2lb weights.

I got the tank down to 700psi and played with the weights until I felt perfect at 12' - very close to a SS depth. 10 lbs was perfect (I have a ss plate too).

I came home put all the equipment(including me) on the scale and did the math for conversion to salt water = +10 lbs.

This has been the ideal weight for me. Worth the pool trip.

With my Seac-Sub 7mm semi dry, if I use 14kg = 30.86lb I can just hold a 3m stop at the end of the dive with no air in my BC.

Note that is 14kg real measured weight. Nominally I carry 15kg of weights as bought in the shop but they're all underweight when I put them on a precision balance. :wink:

When I dive an AL80 with my Tilos 7/5 semi dry I take 20lbs with me-Just last night I took my new faber 100 to the Y pool with 250 psi and it took 8lbs for me to sink. Keep in mind that a two piece suit is more boyany than a one piece-more neoprene.

Your weighting sounds about right. Like another poster said, maybe a little off on an empty Al80.

For the first time last weekend I dove a 6.5mm 2 piece, no hood or vest. Dove in freshwater instead of salt, and was amazed how much lead I needed. Got in the water, bobbed like a cork when trying to decend. got out and added more weight. was 18 lbs by the time I got done adding weight.

I can't imagine how much lead I'll need when diving this in salt water. I think I'll just buy an anchor.....:D

I can't imagine how much lead I'll need when diving this in salt water. I think I'll just buy an anchor.....:D

Try a drysuit in salt water I did my first salt water drysuit dive this year and needed 32 pounds :11: That's a lot of lead for a little thing but I wear so many undies I can't stay under with less. One of my dive buddies is 315 pounds and wears 5 pounds less lead than I do in fresh water in a drysuit (I'm 130 pounds and need 28 pounds of lead). Hi! My name is Ber and I'm an anchor :D
Ber :lilbunny:

A 7mm john wetsuit will be about 20-24lb in salt water so that's right on the money imo. In a drysuit, I need exactly 32lb with a steel tank too (ugh) and I'm a pretty skinny guy to boot. So that ends up being: 12lb on the plate and sta, and 20lb on a belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom