79%Helium - 21% O2 blending? Why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ouch, I went from reading about bubble rings to Physics of gasses... I think my brain's transmission dropped out four posts back.....

Okay, let's say that you use the 79/21 mix. You have eliminated nitrogen from the equation. Now how are you going to keep your core temperature where it's supposed to be? Not to mention the potential for a regulator freeze-up. Even in the commercial world we do not use that radical of a mix, way too dangerous to your internal temperature. (drop your body temperature too much, too quick = drop dead) Definately not a good mix.

I'll stick to good ol' air - - - kinda' fond of that warm fuzzy feeling.

JaxvilleDiver:
Okay, let's say that you use the 79/21 mix. You have eliminated nitrogen from the equation. Now how are you going to keep your core temperature where it's supposed to be? Not to mention the potential for a regulator freeze-up. Even in the commercial world we do not use that radical of a mix, way too dangerous to your internal temperature. (drop your body temperature too much, too quick = drop dead) Definately not a good mix.

I'll stick to good ol' air - - - kinda' fond of that warm fuzzy feeling.
Not to be rude, but you're mistaken... read this thread. Particularly post #25.

lamont:
i've also never heard that high-helium mixes promote regulator freeze ups.

Not that I've noticed.

California Diver:
when diving a helium mix your body is cooler and thats why you fill your drysuit with argon while diving trimix or any helium based gas because it insulates much better than air.

Argon does have better insulating properties than air on paper, but the (admittedly small) study below calls into question the conventional wisdom that argon keeps you warmer than air when used as a drysuit inflation gas.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12067149&query_hl=4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom