7 or 7/5 Wetsuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a 7mil wetsuit. I typically dive quarry's in the midwest. Would you suggest a 7mil or a 7/5 mil?

My thoughts:

7mil - better for overall warmth.

7/5 mil - Warmth would be sacraficed for comfort.

I've got a 5mil and it's just a little cool at depth. I'd be interested in your suggestions on the 7 or 7/5.

S. Nagel

nagel:
I'm looking for a 7mil wetsuit. I typically dive quarry's in the midwest. Would you suggest a 7mil or a 7/5 mil?

My thoughts:

7mil - better for overall warmth.

7/5 mil - Warmth would be sacraficed for comfort.

I've got a 5mil and it's just a little cool at depth. I'd be interested in your suggestions on the 7 or 7/5.

S. Nagel

As you already have a 5mm, why not get a 5mm or 7mm shortie to wear over it? It will cost you less and give you plenty of core warmth while retaining ease of movement and comfort.

Once it's all wet the comfort is a non issue. I dive a 7mm Bare arctic and it's like diving in my PJs.

For most divers the hands are a weak link. A 5mm sleeve is going to let your arms get cool especially since they should be still. Cool arms guarantee cold hands. Keep the 7mm on your sleeves.

If you are OK in the arms consider on of the BARE hooded step-in shorty as a top layer. They now have them in 5mm and 7mm.

Pete

I'm debating the same question but since my LDS has Pinnacle wetsuits, I am deciding between the Elite and the Arctic.

The Arctic is a 7/5 but has the Merino lining throughout the entire suit. This is supposed to be a lot warmer than the equivalent thickness without the lining. The LDS said at one point that the 5mil with the Merino lining is like a 7mil without the lining.

Sounds good. The Elite has the lining in the torso only. So you might want to consider the Pinnacle as an option.

What tempertures are you going to be diving at. In Lake Michgan and most of my local diving i use the 6.5 farmer jon. Sometimes it is a little warm before you get in the water, but i never get cold. Warmest at 20 feet is usually 60 degrees F

could consider sticking with your 5 and getting a trilam to wear under it.

I would suggest a 7mm and skip the 7/5. I also dive in the midwest, and although I now dive dry, my 7mm suit kept me warm and did not feel inflexible at all in the water. I also wore a hooded vest. To Spectrum's point, get some nice warm gloves as well. Henderson makes some great Hyperstretch 7mm gloves. I know a few people who use these, and love them.

My wife bought and tried a pair of 5mm Henderson Gold Core Gauntlet gloves yesterday. She was very pleased.

Don't fear the rubber.

I can't speak for mid-west diving, but a combination I found that works well for me in So Cal is a 7/5 with a hooded vest. It keeps my core warm but allows my arms some additional movement.

The real key here is how well whatever you are wearing fits your frame. A 10 mill suit would allow you to freeze if water is streaming through it freely. I wear the vest under my wetsuit and, when zipped up, the wetsuit seems to seal around the vest.

There is still the challenge of feet and hands, but if my core is warm, the numbing affects of our local cold water can be delayed.

On multiple boat dives I go with the drysuit.

My two cents.

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom