7 or 7/5 Wetsuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I considered the vest over my 5mil and thought I finally decided to go with new 7mil since I already have a 5mil, but now you got me debating again. My thought was wear the 7 mil if I'm going deep and wear the 5 mil if I was just "puttering" around in shallower water. Water temp at depth is 50-60 degrees. The 5 mil just doesn't cut it, but is perfectly fine at shallower depths especially in the summer. I absolutely hate farmer johns, haven't had a great experience with these. I love diving, but I'm the type of person that hates feeling constricted, especially, around the neck (go figure). Prior to posting this, I was shopping for a 7mil with a hood attached, but then seen a lot on the 7/5 and thought I get some input.

Yes, dry is probably in the future for me, but not at this time ($$$).

I think you gave me alot to think about, but one more thing. Can you give me some thoughts on brands. I'm thinking Henderson is probably the elite, but how do you rate some of the brand names.

Steve

nagel:
I think you gave me alot to think about, but one more thing. Can you give me some thoughts on brands. I'm thinking Henderson is probably the elite, but how do you rate some of the brand names.

Steve

I have a Bare 3/2 Velocity full suit for warm water, a Bare 5/4 Velocity full suit for cooler temperatures and a Bare 7mm Velocity vest (shortie) with hood that I layer over the 5/4 for temperatures down to the mid-40's. I started with the 3/2mm, bought the 5/4mm later and finally the vest. I also use Bare's 6mm Ice Boot and 5mm K-Palm Gauntlets. I've been happy with warmth, fit, comfort and the general wear and tear with all of my Bare equipment, and with their moderate prices, recommend them to others. Fit is everything in a wetsuit, however, and I tried a variety of manufacturers, both more and less costly, before choosing Bare.

I dive in Michigan's U.P. and use a dry suit. Used to have a 7mm, which worked fine in July and August, but beginning in March and ending in December, the 7mm wasn't a lot of fun. A dry suit really makes a difference. Especially if you are diving deep. I used to freeze. Like you, I didn't have a lot of funds either, but picked a good used one from the local dive shop. Yeah, I have to get out the tube of sealer every once in a while, but it really beats being cold and wet between dives (and during). Maybe if you have a good local dive shop, they can help out. Ours would even accept payments. As far as the training, it's not bad. The first couple of dives, you'll feel like your learning all over again, but after that, it becomes second nature. I was really surprised at how much more I enjoyed the dives with the dry suit. If that is seriously not an option, I agree with a good pair of gloves and boots. Try to keep your extremities warm. I also agree with the fit. My 7mm didn't fit the greatest, but used a new (can't even remember the name) to try it out, and it was a huge difference. I think sometimes the fit outweighs a brand name. Sorry if this was no help!!!

What Jon said. I dive a few hundred miles north of him, with temps in the Monterey area between low '40's and high '50's, depending on season, depth, etc., and a 7/5 with a hooded vest is ok for me because when my core is warm, I can deal with the cold hands from wearing light gloves (dexterity for photography).

sorry mate cant really advise u on this 1 as the water where i dive is a constant 28-29 degrees. sorry.:wink:

NJMike:
The LDS said at one point that the 5mil with the Merino lining is like a 7mil without the lining.

It's not. As much as I love my Pinnacle Arctic, as much I wish they hadn't made the mistake of giving it only 5mm in the limbs. I compared it to a 7mm full suit (Scubapro) in the same waters the same day and while the 7mm was cozy, the Arctic definitely gave me cold arms and legs.

NJMike:
I'm debating the same question but since my LDS has Pinnacle wetsuits, I am deciding between the Elite and the Arctic.

The Arctic is a 7/5 but has the Merino lining throughout the entire suit. This is supposed to be a lot warmer than the equivalent thickness without the lining. The LDS said at one point that the 5mil with the Merino lining is like a 7mil without the lining.

Sounds good. The Elite has the lining in the torso only. So you might want to consider the Pinnacle as an option.

I have the Pinnacle Arctic. I bought in to the whole "it is warmer than a thicker wetsuit" claim, but I don't believe it now that I have it. I wish it were 7mm all around. In mid 50s F water I wore the Arctic with their merino hooded vest, 5 mil gloves and boots and was freezing down at 70 feet or so.I can definitely feel the cold on my arms and down my back. I also recently bought and dove the Seal 3mm with merino - that will be going up for sale so I can buy a 5mm.

I think the Arctic could work if you have a 5mm shortie over it that covers the upper arms down to the elbow as well as the upper thigh down to the knee. One option to find this would be to have one made by Wetwear or similar custom wetsuit shop. If you already have a 5mm jumpsuit, then perhaps have a 7mm shortie made that has this coverage.

Back
Top Bottom