7 mm vs. semi-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cagrace

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm looking to purchase either a 7 mm wetsuit or a semi-dry, and am looking for advice/thoughts about what the pros/cons are of these two different kinds of suits. If anyone has a recommendation of a suit they have tried and tested and loved, please let me know!
Thanks!
CGM

They are not really different kinds of suits. Semi dry is a wet suit with more restricted flow in the ankles and wrists. Slightly warmer but not too big of a deal.
If you want a different kind that woul be a dry suit

Some suits sold as semi-dry are just real good wetsuits. Others have features that rival a drysuit without being dry or allowing for lofted garments. You really need to be talking about specific products.

In general I would say that if you need warmth enough to shell out for a semi-dry you should be at least looking at going dry.

Pete

I just bought a Hollis Neotek Semi Dry about a month ago to get through the winter here in Arizona. I skipped over the 7mm because the Neotek is decently priced for a heavy suit with hood and it has pockets. So far I am extremely happy with it. I have to admit wearing a 8mm suit takes a bit to get used to. Whatever you buy I definitely recommend something under it to help getting into it. I don't look good in my Xcel UV Jumpsuit but I can get into wetsuits without dislocating a shoulder.

love my IST MOD 707, dry seals (if you roll them under) on the wrist and ankles low compression micro cell neoprene lg spine pad with seal neck seal 250% stretch panels for comfort they cost less than $200 check Maui Divers they are an IST disturber or just Google.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 07:52 PM ----------

I use mine in water temps. from 48 to 56f 3 dives per day 2 weekends each mouth when I dive deeper then 50 feet I add a core warmer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom