7/26- 7/27 North Shore dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudiHuntrs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had a great weekend of dives down at Firehouse and Shark's Cove. Water temps ranged from 76F- 77F. One of the highlights is what we think is a blue ring octopus. The whole body is about the size of a golf ball (husband says ping-pong ball). Wouldn't have seen it at all if not for it moving and changing color right in front of us.

Firehouse%20169.jpg

Noumea simplex
Firehouse%20260.jpg

Titan scorpionfish
Three%20Tables%20161.jpg

Caloria sp. (<5mm long)
Firehouse%20089.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Aloha,

NH

As far as I've heard, there are only two octo's here; day and night. Whatever it was it sounds like a young juvi, and I guess it could be an aquarium refugee.

As far as I've heard, there are only two octo's here; day and night. Whatever it was it sounds like a young juvi, and I guess it could be an aquarium refugee.

Here is the link to John Hoovers website..looks like 15 species from the 808 state:14:

mystery octopus

NH

That is just awesome! Let us know when you are diving next so we can follow you around!

Cameron and Roger found one like that on the mahi a couple of years ago and I took both John's down to get some tissue samples, he later found another one over near Lanai lookout (I think). When agitated a small blue ring shows up on either side at the base of the head....electric blue. Cute fella!

Thanks for sharing!!

Justleesa,

I've looked at the photos of your little guy on John's website a week or so ago. Just by chance, husband saw this one. Very ironic because we missed out seeing the famous blue ring octopus in Indonesia, only to stumble over one in our own backyard. Go figure.

Sea nmf and Crab lover,

Husband and I have gotten lucky lately, diving "low and slow" as we call it. Probably diving the same way you guys do-- which is how you found the very rare Ceratophyllidia africana the other day.

BTW O'hana-- any truth to the rumor I just heard about a whale shark showing up at the YO recently?? Wish I was there to see that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom