7/11 Salem Sound - 2 boats run right over the dive flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmerriman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Amazing. we had 2 divers in the water, each towing flags. The boat had a flag on it also. 2 separate boats ran directly over the flags at high speed and within 50 feet of our vessel.

There's an idiot born every minute. Glad noone was hurt

Frightening.

Luckily no one was injured. Do you think they even saw the flags?

Jeebus! Were you able to identify/report the boats?

not sure they saw the flags in the water or our boat, but regardless they passed fast and close. I imagine they were just clueless. they also tore through some lobster pots so if there's any justice they'll tangle a prop some day. Didn't get a bead on the boat names to report them unfortunatleey..

You should report it anyways. Our town harbor master (DNR) do an incredible job dealing with the summer idiots. They only have one boat to patrol with but make very good use of it and are great people. They are actually underfunded and every tax dollar is put good use. Not sure what Salem harbor master has jurisdiction over but if they know they can at least keep more eyes on it. The coast guard is pretty busy this time of year but if its a continuing issue they will also put out the resources.

Regulation on drive boat seems non exist. You can buy a twin V8 engine boat for $15K and go off onto water. No license, no watermanship education needed. I have seen too many instants that power boats do not yield to sail boat. I believe they don't even know sail boat has the right of way. In this case, I am not even sure if they know that the dive flag means. Too much money, too young, know too little

About 10 years ago i was diving with my 16 year old "little brother". He had the flag and i noticed he was getting pulled up by it. I grabbed it away from him, dumped the air in my BCD, wrapped my hands around the line and pulled HARD. I then slowly ascended to find out what the asshat doing it was thinking. it was the Marblehead Harbormaster who had the flag line CLEATED to his boat.
"I just wanted you to know that there is channel over there and you shouldn't get close to it."
"WAS I close to it?"
"Not at all but i didn't want you to get hurt"
"You cleated my line to your boat and forcefully tried to make me ascend. That could kill me"
"I banged on the side of my boat but you didn't come up"
"Your banging sounds exactly like every other boat banging on theirs within half a mile. Please don't EVER do that"
"Just be safe."

Even the harbormasters can be ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom