6th D-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
I choose option B...put pockets on your wetsuit :)

You know...I thought about that. Where would one have after market neoprene pockets installed...original manufacturer, tailor, store, other?

Dive Rite sells a "thigh pocket" that loops through the waist strap and then is attached to the thigh with straps...not sure if this might solve a problem of storing things or create a problem.

oceancrest67:
You know...I thought about that. Where would one have after market neoprene pockets installed...original manufacturer, tailor, store, other?

Dive Rite sells a "thigh pocket" that loops through the waist strap and then is attached to the thigh with straps...not sure if this might solve a problem of storing things or create a problem.

I used one of those Dive-Rite thigh pockets (until I sold it), and they are better than nothing, but it was annoying having to put it on and to take it off everytime. It also took space on my harness waist strap, and it was kind of small. I prefer large, properly installed glue-on or sew-on thigh pockets the best, but the x-shorts are also convenient if you change exposure suits often and don't want to spend the money to install pockets on each suit. Just be careful if you buy a thigh pocket as there are big differences between the brands. I use the x-pockets from dive xtras on my drysuit, and I like those, even though the glue is already peeling off wihch is my fault. There's been some good posts in the past on how to glue the pockets on properly.

oceancrest67:

Or you could get a pair of X-Shorts. The vendor (Dive Xtras) was clearing them out on eBay a few months ago. Might still be some available. I picked up a couple of pair. They go over your wetsuit and give you two bellows pockets. I actually use these on most dives in addition to my right d-ring. The d-ring on the right is either for clipping small do-dads off when I don't wear the x-shorts or for clipping off things I've removed from one of my pockets to temporarily store it away to free my hands when I know I'll need it again soon.

Soggy:
The whole reason why there is no Dring on the right side is because anything clipped there can interfere with long hose deployment. In this case, it's not about minimalism, but about safety and practicality.

I have a D-ring on my canister light (on the right side) and I clip a stage bottle there in addition to the one on my left. I have never had a problem deploying my long hose in that configuration.

One need only duck when handing off the reg and follow the hose around with the same hand to ensure proper deployment.

I'm new at this and my main light is going to be a Pelican Aqua King for the time being. I was planning on attaching it to a right hip D-ring and removing both when I get a cannister light. My long hose is tucked under a pair of EMT shears to the rear of the D-ring.

i only got rid of my right hip ring because i bought a can light, it also stopped me slinging my deco bottles there. i havent got a problem with keeping the bottles on the left but it would be handy to clip a spool off on that side, so the green maleshineshis buckles do look interesting

I have one of the bryden buckles but have not had a chance to dive with it yet. That will happen next weekend. I'll post one of my famous(infamous?) reviews afterwards. If you don't know what I'm talking about search my posts for the DSS review and the Nocturnal Lights one.

For pouches I've been using x-shorts but drying them before a flight can be a real pain. So, I got the a shop to make these for me.

They are 10/7/3 and as you can see there is ample room for an smb a spare mask, spool, shears, reflector etc etc.

There's an adjustable loop for your waist strap and adjustable locks for your thigh.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom