6th D-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
I use one of these and I like it:

Just out of curiosity,

Floater, what is the difference to use between the front Scooter D-ring and Bryden buckles unless you are scootering?

Jason B:
I thougth the long hose was Hog.

There are no scuba police so put as many D-rings on as you see fit. This post would be more appropriate in the Basic Scub forum or maybe the BC forum.

I'm not an expert on this and I know others will post followup points. But from my reading, Hogarthian is not the same as DIR. I believe DIR is almost a subspecialty of Hogarthian thinking and configuration. I do not believe Hogarthian has much to say about hose configuration, but it is obviously big in DIR.

But ... for those who know more ... I'm open to correction!

hoosier:
Just out of curiosity,

Floater, what is the difference to use between the front Scooter D-ring and Bryden buckles unless you are scootering?

Well, I use two buckles; the Bryden buckle to lock down the canister of a canister light off to the right on my waist strap and a regular buckle for locking the waist strap to desired tightness. Therefore, the Bryden buckle acts as a right hip D-ring and I can clip things there without them getting in the way.

As for clipping stuff onto the scooter D-ring, such as spools or tanks, I don't like that idea, except maybe on ascent. I don't want anything hanging down there (below what would otherwise be my lowest point while horizontal) creating drag and possibly hitting things below me. Imagine squeezing through a tight, low cave or wreck passage with a reel hanging down your scooter d-ring... Not pretty. And tanks are better off clipped to the sides as well.

Divin'Hoosier:
I believe DIR is almost a subspecialty of Hogarthian thinking and configuration. I do not believe Hogarthian has much to say about hose configuration, but it is obviously big in DIR.

But ... for those who know more ... I'm open to correction!

Jim, you have already had your answer.

There are many Hogarithian divers out there including DIR divers, but as you know, DIR divers is more strict with their gear configuration based on their Philosophy. They have their viewpoint on the gear configuration. It is their preference and personal decision as same as other advanced tech divers use 6th D-ring on the right waist.

*Floater*:
As for clipping stuff onto the scooter D-ring, such as spools or tanks, I don't like that idea, except maybe on ascent. I don't want anything hanging down there (below what would otherwise be my lowest point while horizontal) creating drag and possibly hitting things below me. Imagine squeezing through a tight, low cave or wreck passage with a reel hanging down your scooter d-ring... Not pretty. And tanks are better off clipped to the sides as well.

Oh~~Come on, Floater,

Like you said, if you are in the horizontal, there will be no much difference on the dangling matter between the scooter d-ring and your Bryden buckles position, maybe 1 inch....:wink:

I am not trolling Bryden buckles, I admit it is the innovative design, specially from our board member. I am just curious about its application. :)

hoosier:
Oh~~Come on, Floater,

Like you said, if you are in the horizontal, there will be no much difference on the dangling matter between the scooter d-ring and your Bryden buckles position, maybe 1 inch....:wink:

I am not trolling Bryden buckles, I admit it is the innovative design, specially from our board member. I am just curious about its application. :)

Depends where you put the Bryden buckle. If you use it to lock down the canister light, as I do, so that it acts as your right hip d-ring, then there's a big differnce between that and the scooter d-ring when clipping things off. Otherwise why would non-scootering tech divers even bother with the right hip d-ring? Have you ever seen anyone clip a bottle on the right chest and scooter d-rings?

Divin'Hoosier:
As the original poster of the question, keep in mind:

1. I am interested in Hog and not being 100% DIR
2. I don't use a long hose so nothing tucked on my right
3. I don't use a can light
4. I do typically wear x-shorts with two bellows pockets
Keeping that stuff in mind, IMHO it would be silly not to have a right hip D-ring. No can, no long hose, no problem.

oceancrest67:
If one needed more than one spool or reel without using pockets...(most wet suits do not come with pockets)...and strapping a pocket to the waist strap adds extra inefficiency...the only place left would be the d-ring on the crotch strap for all your spools and reels.

I choose option B...put pockets on your wetsuit :)

Divin'Hoosier:
I do not believe Hogarthian has much to say about hose configuration...

Of course not, Hogarthian is a non-entity....it is undefined. In the strictest sense, I suppose it would imply conforming to the gear configuration William Hogarth Main chose, which includes a long hose, but these days it seems like everyone thinks they are "Hogarthian" with their poodle jackets, and 15 d-rings. Whenever I hear that phrase, I think "someone who wants to be DIR but doesn't like the name."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom