6 ave.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC once bubbled...
OUT OF PRODUCTION?????????????
What the hey? I have been following the threads on the 5050 and isnt it brand new???
Why the heck would it be going out of production sooo soon if it wasnt a dog?
Man, what did i miss here...

The 5050 came out last summer, that's over a year ago. So by technical electronic time tables, it's had it's time in the spotlight now it's time for something new. Not necessarily better, just new. And it's not soon for the 5050 not is it a reflection of the quality of camera itself. Same thing happened with the 4040. They came out with the next model while the 4040 was in it's heydey.

For topside, the 5060 may have some advantages over the 5050, I don't know. But for underwater, it's a step back in lots of ways and areas. Just because the next model is out doesn't mean the current one suddenly quits working. It's still a good camera and will perform properly for many years. As underwater photographers, our only concern is the availablity for replacement in case of flooding.

Dee once bubbled...
Saf....You might want to reconsider about waiting to get your housing. ...

Dee,
Thanks for the advice. I know and have been thinking about this, but I think I'm going to still wait a couple of weeks. I'll definitely be getting it soon, and it's not even the $ that's causing me to wait (the housing is cheap compared to the cost of the camera), but I just know that if I actually have the housing here with the camera, I'm going to be too tempted to try it out before I know what I'm doing with the camera, and will ultimately end up disappointed by what I get. I know, if I know this, then I need to just have self-control and wait a bit, but having too many new toys at once will be too tempting and overwhelming.
I'll definitely be ordering it soon, though - proabably will wait and see if it doesn't show up for the holidays (my family has been very well trained and can now repeat the phrases "newegg.com", "olympus c-5050", and "pt-15 underwater camera housing" on command, so if I don't get the housing by the end of the month, I'll order it then). I'm pretty confident that they'll still have them in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for your help!

saf...a few weeks won't hurt at all. I somehow got the idea you were talking about several months.

You're absolutely right, the work you do with the camera now will reflect in the success you'll have with it underwater. As much as I love the Oly C-series cameras, this 5050 model has been the hardest of them all to learn to use. I still get lost and have to ask for help or start searching the manuals and websites! And I'm with you...it's hard to leave it all in the box and take more pictures of the bushes and bugs in my yard! haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom