6 ave.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saf_25

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I've been reading reviews and shopping for a camera for months now. I'm finally convinced that the c-5050 will be the best camera for what I need - currently, something with an auto setting while I start in digital, but also something that can upgrade out of auto while I learn and won't become obsolete too quickly (hopefully).

So, now that I've finally decided what to get, it's discontinued and I know I need to buy it soon if I want to be able to find it. The best price I can find is on 6ve.com - $538 with 6 cent shipping! My question is, has anybody used them before? Do you have any feedback on their service? Or, is there any other dealer that someone would recommend over them? I know that someone said they ordered the camera from them last week, but I don't remember who that was - if you're reading this, did it come as promised in a timely manner? Any suggestions you have will be appreciated - I'm hoping to buy it this weekend, so please let me know.
Thanks!

Not sure about that outfit but here is a price comparison that shows a refurb 5050 for $419. at Infinity Camera's.
Is the one you are looking at new or a refurb?
Refurbs are fine as I have had two of them, a C2040Z and currently a C4000Z.
Keep in mind you are putting a $400 to $550 camera in a $150 housing so maybe reducing the loss factor cost from flooding ain't a bad idea! I don't bother with insurance as the cost of the camera is low enough.
Just a thought to share with you saf-25.

Of all those sources listed in the link gillian provided, the only place I would order with total confidence would be B&H Photo. $579 is what I paid for my brand new 5050 in August. You may find a cheaper price but what is peace of mind not to get ripped off worth to ya?

I just received my Oly 5050 from 6th Ave for $538.06. It is brand new and I just started reading the manual. I am 100% satisfied with this purchase- good price, new merchandise, reasonably fast shipping (1 week UPS) for .06 cents, you cannot beat that. Go for it before they are gone.:D

I just got a 5050 from 6ave last week. It was as avertised . New in the box with a US warrenty for $538.06. I was a little sceptical as well but they worked fine for me. I orded it late one Sat night, I had a UPS shipping number on Mon afternoon and it arrived on Wed. Like Dee, the only one I "trust" is B&H but so far 6ave has been fine.

Well, after 2 positive comments and no negative ones, I'm going to go for it. I figure that I'm putting it on my credit card, so the worst that can happen is a lot of hassle, and at best it's a great deal.
Gilligan, I considered getting a refurbished camera, but since I'm just entering the world of digital cameras and learning a lot, I wanted to know that I was starting fresh and not have to worry about the additional potential problems a refurb can have. For the same reasons (learning factor)I will be getting my gear/camera insured, at least to have that comfort when I'm putting it in the water. I think if I didn't have the insurance, I would never want to dive with it out of fear of something happening - silly, I know, but at least while I'm learning, it will make me feel better. At any rate, it's going to be awhile before I get it in the water - I'm even waiting to buy the housing because I want to get to know the features and how to use it on land before I try to get it under water.
Thanks for all of your feedback - I'll keep you posted when I get it, and I'll definitely be seeking more advice once I try to figure out how to ues it all. (I think that's more of a threat, than a promise!).

Hey Saf_25

Sounds like you have a good plan. I have been studying the manual and while it can be overwhelming, the flexibility and capabilities of the 5050 are incredible. I see you live in OC, I am up in the Valley (Toluca Lake). Maybe we can share notes on our 5050's. It will be a few months before my next dive trip so I will be using the camera on land for now.

Saf....You might want to reconsider about waiting to get your housing. As you've found out, the 5050 is out of production and since the PT-15 housing fiot any other camera, it just follows that Olympus may quite making the housings or that some of the dealers in the states will quite carrying them. We've already seen some of the distributors quite carrying both.

So especially since the housing is only $150, I'd suggest you go ahead and get it. You cna put it up until you need it but at least it will be there for sure when you do.

Just my unsolicited 2¢

OUT OF PRODUCTION?????????????
What the hey? I have been following the threads on the 5050 and isnt it brand new???
Why the heck would it be going out of production sooo soon if it wasnt a dog?
Man, what did i miss here...

You didn't miss anything. The 5050 is already discontinued in Japan if you look on Yuzo's website. The 5050 has been replaced by the 5060 and its corresponding housing. Who cares, the 5050 is a good camera, so is the 4000, the 4040 and the 3040. You would go broke buying every model that came out every few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom