(6/15/05) Someone tried to steal my float while I was under!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have placed a small glass bottle in my BC for just such "events"...expect a hole from shards of glass in your hull...

lord1234:
i have placed a small glass bottle in my BC for just such "events"...expect a hole from shards of glass in your hull...

Finally, a use for those little airplane booze bottles.

F that...Id rather risk the ticket then deal with idiots, and if I ever got caught I would plainly state that my flag was stolen. When its my safety on the line, I have no problem lying to uncle sam.

If you can at least hang on to the reel or handle, you can at least show them something. If you have the chance, cut the line.

Or dive with a reel, and have the line cut.

Then when you come ashore and get busted, you can "claim" it was stolen.

ReefGuy:
Here in Florida, all you need for to drive a boat is money. No brain required. This is an excellent reason to never clip off a dive flag.
Or clip your dive flag to a VERY heavy UW object! :11:

Wee Haggis:
... well let's just admit that a diver on the surface beside a beligerant boater is somewhat vulnerable.

nicely put covers both divers and boaters.

consideration for your safety and your car parked ....

it boils down to the responsibility of Peace and order group patrolling the area. gosh, i wish i could rely on this security... idea.

If some boater tried to steal my float or kayak, and I catch him doing it, the plugs are getting pulled out of his boat and heading straight for the bottom. :eyebrow: One good turn deserves another. No need to round up glass bottles or fishing line, or carry a spear gun.

My dive kayak was attached to a mooring an a diveboat hooked up to the mooring. Unclipped my kayak and reclipped it to the back of his boat. No worries. No problem.

Until he took off and unclipped my kayak from his boat w/out reclipping it to the mooring. What a SOB.

It seams maybe watercraft users need more education. We did a checkout dive at a local lake. 5-10 foot vis max. Anyway, during our buddy breathing excersise I noticed the anchor line go taught for a second. Then all of a sudden I see the Anchor fly past my face and grap my buddy by the upper Right BC strap. He goes flying off a few feet, now without air. I try to catch up to him and give him my octo but he already found his own. We all headed to the surface only to find a guy trying to get back on the jet ski. His story is...people on shore were waving at him and pointing at our flag, he grabbed it for them??? They were probably yelling "Divers Below"!! Anyway, he then got yanked off his jetski when it caught my friend. Needless to say, it would have been nice if he had been aware of the accepted US dive flag. I just think how the anchor could have been a few inches in and sckewered my buddies throat. Anyway, it is a little infuriating at times...I like the boat plug idea! Maybe just keep about 20 lbs extra weight, go grab the culprit and purge...or is that too extreme. Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom