(6/15/05) Someone tried to steal my float while I was under!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Yeah, but it's hard to educate a boater that's zooming by at 10 knots 10 feet above your head, or a jet ski that's doing doughnuts around your flag.

United Divers of NH has put up signs at some of the busier boat launches that give boaters the basics before they get in the water. They're redesigning their site, so I can't find any pictures of it right now, but it basically has a picture of a dive flag with a diver below it and says "Diver below, stay back 150'" and references the state statute. I'm not sure how big an impact this has made so far, but it seems like a great idea to me.

yes I was joking around and I do agree that screwing with people will start a war that will not end until someone gets injured

i warning sign ! "we get you under your never coming up"

ok its over the top !! just kidding

well maybe i have come up with the bestwarning sign
what about

warning speargun shooting range below

I was diving at a locval bigginers wreck. This wreck is especially popular with PADI-instructors. While diving a RIB with instructor and PADI-students tried to tie up to my float. So I was at 10m, pulling my line, and towing a whole RIB, until they finally let go.

Stupid powerboaters aren't the only ones!

DiveGolfSki:
All kidding aside, when do you need a floating dive flag versus having the dive flag on your boat or shooting a bag to indicate your position once your on your way up? Should you need to tow a floating dive flag when underwater? I can see it's use in shallow waters (rivers, certain lakes, etc.) but not in open water.

In Mass, its a requirement. Not just any marker. The Diver Down flag of a certain diminsion, floating a certain height above the water. You must surface within 100 ft (i think) of it. So in this murk its pretty much a requirement to carry it with you.

And if you'd think its easy to get entangled in your own flag line, you're right...

RoadWarrior:
When we arrived at one of the dive sites there were two fishing boats already there, 2 fisherman each, and I can tell you they were not happy seeing our 6-pack arrive. In fact, a guy on the boat nearest us stood up, shaking his head, and started pulling in his line.

I think that you should have dived somewhere else. Everyone's use of the water has to be fairly allocated. First come, first served seems the only reasonable method.

Perhaps you could have communicated with the fishermen and asked them to plan a window for your dive (assuming you had tide/current concerns and couldn't just wait them out). However, if they refused, I think that the only polite thing to do would have been to go somewhere else.

If we, as divers, want boaters/fishers to leave us alone when we're already diving and they arrive, shouldn't we return the same courtesy?

NOTE: Glock, Inc., specifically disclaims any and all liability from anyone performing or attempting to perform underwater firing with a Glock pistol -- you do so at your own risk.

The Glock 17 may be equipped with an optional set of maritime spring cups for use in water environments. Maritime spring cups are not intended for submerged firing, but for surface use by special ops teams who operate in and around water. The maritime spring cups are two small parts within the firing pin assembly and are not included on any Model 17 sold by Glock (civilians can only get them through 3rd parties). They insure that water can pass by the firing pin within the firing pin channel, thus preventing the creation of hydraulic force within the firing pin channel -- which would slow the firing pin down, causing light primer strikes. With the special cups, the action will cycle reliably while submersed, if a little bit slower. NATO specification ammunition (such as Winchester's Ranger RA9124N) with waterproof sealed primers and case mouths is recommended.

Although you may install the maritime spring cups on any Glock model, *only* the Glock 17 was designed and intended to use the modified spring cups for aquatic firing -- and only then using 9mm ball ammunition to remain within acceptable pressure limits. The foolhardy who insist on living dangerously must keep several things in mind: The Glock 17 must be fully submersed underwater. There must not be any air left within the pistol as the muzzle is pointed towards the surface of the water after submersion to allow the air in the barrel to escape. Use only full metal jacket, ball-type ammunition because the water within the barrel can spread a hollow point out within the barrel upon firing. This increases the bearing surface of the bullet to the barrel and could catastrophically increase pressures. Even if the barrel doesn't burst, the expanded bullet would get even bigger upon exiting into the water and would slow down very quickly while tumbling. Accuracy would be terrible.

The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.

just for S's and giggles i figured this would make somone laugh

I guess I need to trade my Berretta 92FS in on a Glock now.

Back
Top Bottom