(6/15/05) Jewfish: 1 Spearfisherman: 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian

Reaction score
"It was just so fast. I just seen him turn, and then I just saw a bunch of bubbles and blood," local diver Bob Charles, 45, said after he was attacked Tuesday while spearfishing in Florida Bay."

Attack article

In my experience when a Jewfish thumps you it means that it's time to leave. The article said this one was continuously thumping. I guess after it tried to bite his head off he decided to leave it alone.

I also like the part where the hospital didn't give him any pain killers so he had to take his own.

Thanks for the article I needed a laugh.

That guy was lucky it was a small j-fish a big one would have really piled on the scoring. Up here in Palm Beach county, we gotta call them "goliath groupers" though. Well, we supposed to call them that...

What's the deal with the name change? I still call them Jewfish, none of my Jewish friends seem to mind. What gives?

Charles said the attack won't make him more apprehensive the next time he encounters a jewfish
I guess some people just don't get it.

This ain't exactly rocket science!
If a Jewfish thumps you, he's saying "you're in my territory... leave."
Simple.
Rick :)

Rick Murchison:
This ain't exactly rocket science!
If a Jewfish thumps you, he's saying "you're in my territory... leave."
Simple.
Rick :)
Any fish that bumps you or is acting strange is a good reason to leave them alone. I’ve even had manatee and dolphins bump me while cleaning boats in 2’ vis and I take it as a sign to come back a little later.

Bill51:
Any fish that bumps you or is acting strange is a good reason to leave them alone. I’ve even had manatee and dolphins bump me while cleaning boats in 2’ vis and I take it as a sign to come back a little later.
Oops! Sorry...
I see everyone isn't familiar with the term "thump" WRT Jewfish...
When a Jewfish "thumps" he makes a loud thumping noise that you can feel as well as hear. It means "get outa' my space - now!"
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom