5th Port question - required on both regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So he hasn't bought his reg yet and you are giving him advice about the best way to sell it

Hahaha 😂

Best post in this thread 🤣

I'm currently transitioning into side mount (using wetsuit, warm water here) and at the stage of sourcing equipment. Currently I run a recreational single AL80 back mount system with XTX200 (primary donate) setup.

For the side mount BCD I'll be using the XDEEP Stealth 2.0 TEC (since I'll be progressing into tech in the near future). Since I already have an Apeks XTX200 (FSR) I'd be looking to purchase an XTX50 (DST) since I understand the DST swivel turret is useful for the long hose especially when donating.

When it comes to the 5th port, is it required on both regs, or just the reg you run your BCD inflator from (presumably the short hose side)? Both of my regs would be 5th port capable, I'm just trying to understand if it's required on both sides or if I'm wasting cash.

SL
If you don’t need a dry suit and don’t have a double bladder wing, just one first stage with 5th port will make routing to your inflator hose much more streamlined. Rotating turrets are nice but only marginally. I am diving SM with both FSR and DTS and while DST make hose routing cleaner, I would not sell the FSRs to buy rotating turrets.

So he hasn't bought his reg yet and you are giving him advice about the best way to sell it :) :) :)
Frankly, forget the 5th port and use "long" inflator hoses as it is more versatile.
To be fair, looking at resale is a completely legitimate consideration when buying items.

Something I've learned buying various goods from the used-market, is that good which are expensive on the used-market are more financially sound purchases, than buying something "offbrand" that is new but inexpensive. Anything "expensive" on the used market, will generally last longer, and likely still be expensive if you decide you want to sell or buy something else.

To be fair, looking at resale is a completely legitimate consideration when buying items.

Something I've learned buying various goods from the used-market, is that good which are expensive on the used-market are more financially sound purchases, than buying something "offbrand" that is new but inexpensive. Anything "expensive" on the used market, will generally last longer, and likely still be expensive if you decide you want to sell or buy something else.
I just sold my Apeks XTX50/DST regs with fifth port (no hoses or SPG included). They sold in less than 2 hours after posting because the guy who bought them specifically wanted the fifth port. Same with another couple of people who contacted me after they were already sold. Certain gear holds its value. And Apeks regs with DST first stage (rotating turret)/fifth port fall into that category.

I just sold my Apeks XTX50/DST regs with fifth port (no hoses or SPG included). They sold in less than 2 hours after posting because the guy who bought them specifically wanted the fifth port. Same with another couple of people who contacted me after they were already sold. Certain gear holds its value. And Apeks regs with DST first stage (rotating turret)/fifth port fall into that category.
But mostly because you offered them well below average used price...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom