5mm gloves? - SoCal diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkDZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody in SoCal use 5mm gloves? I'm currently using 3mil gloves and haven't made any dives during the colder months of January/February.

I use 3mil all year round. I don't like the decrease in dexterity I feel like I have when I tried the 5 mil.

I use Mares Trilastic. Comfortable and warm, good dexterity.

From Mares website:

-The warmth of 5-mm only on the back of the hand.

-Palms and wrists in 3-mm for better agility.

-Palms covered in polyurethane for better grip.

-The glide skin on the external wrist panel improves seal, using it with Mares Trilastic wetsuits.

Typically the water is around the same temp all year, though some months may be colder than others. Depth also factors in. I pretty much dive weekly so have an idea if the temp is going to swing one way or the other. If the temp is below 55° I'll use my 5mil (since now one of them is lost it will be the dry gloves from now on) anything above that in the water column and I'll wear my thin (I think they are 1mil with faux leather palms) gloves. Since my dives are mostly lasting longer than 70 minutes now I am more and more opting for the dry gloves. I'm babbling aren't I? :confused:

I think that you will find 3mil will be fine for most temps down to the mid 50's for short dives. Colder or longer and the 5mil will be the better choice and they are also good to use year round even now with 65° water.

I use 5 mm gloves all year round, the ones with kevlar, so I can catch bugs AND have warm hands. Like Rob, I dive all year round and stay down for long periods, which allows my hands to not go numb. :14:

I use a pair of 3mm Deep See gloves year round and don't have a problem. I don't think you really need 5mm gloves unless you are really the cold type.

pupdiver:
I use a pair of 3mm Deep See gloves year round and don't have a problem. I don't think you really need 5mm gloves unless you are really the cold type.

OR are hunting lobsters... :eyebrow:

scubalaurel:
OR are hunting lobsters... :eyebrow:

True enough. You might want 5mm for lobster hunting, but the OP said he had already been using 3mm gloves and wondered if he needed 5mm for winter months. I assumed the water temp was his concern.

pupdiver:
True enough. You might want 5mm for lobster hunting, but the OP said he had already been using 3mm gloves and wondered if he needed 5mm for winter months. I assumed the water temp was his concern.

But winter is when one goes LOBSTER hunting...why else would anyone dive in the brrrrrrrr freezing waters???????:confused:

duh.....:shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom