5mil too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi earlybird,
As I see in this thread most everyone agress the 3 ml will be best suited for you ( pun intended). I'm a small woman- I weigh less than 110 lbs and I do tend to get cold very easily. If I'm doing more than one dive in water below 82 degrees F, I wear my 5 ml. with a beanie type cap. If you tend to be cold natured, you might want to consider keeping the 5 ml, but if you are not cold natured, the 3 ml should be just what you need.

~lildiver

My wife is the same size as lildiver and she is much happier in 78 to 80 degree water since she switched to a 5 mm suit. Also realize that must neoprene quickly loses gas bubbles and therefore thickness and insulation through use. The 5 mm may be warm at first but should be comfortable after a few deep dives. I'd recommend keeping it.

Ralph

Originally posted by earlybird
I just bought a 5 mil Henderson Gold full wetsuit....I was planning on getting a 3mil, but the sales person "talked" me into a 5 mil. I am a woman....so hence he said women get colder than men.... We are going to Grand Cayman this winter, also probably Cozumel, Hawaii next year.....I took all my lessons in a pool, about 80 degrees and used no suit....admittedly I got a bit cool towards the end. But for tropical diving, could I get peoples' opinions on what degree of protection they would recommend.

I think I can exchange it in the next couple of days if I wanted to.....all opinions are welcome.

Also, one of his points was that for maybe one dive a day, a 3 mil would be fine, but if you were to do two or more dives per day, you would welcome the additional protection by the third dive.....

Thank you

earlybird

Hi, just read your question, i went to the Maldives in June this year the temp was 80-82f i dived in a t-shirt sorry to all u hardend divers out there, but i learnt in the UK and i promised myself T-Shirt diving only lol, i did 2 dives a day and i was fine, 45 min each dive to 25m, most, and then again i did Malta in 3ml shortie, in 24f freezing lol, so if worried, take what u can and hire if ness! good diving

Back
Top Bottom