5mil too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

earlybird

Reaction score
I just bought a 5 mil Henderson Gold full wetsuit....I was planning on getting a 3mil, but the sales person "talked" me into a 5 mil. I am a woman....so hence he said women get colder than men.... We are going to Grand Cayman this winter, also probably Cozumel, Hawaii next year.....I took all my lessons in a pool, about 80 degrees and used no suit....admittedly I got a bit cool towards the end. But for tropical diving, could I get peoples' opinions on what degree of protection they would recommend.

I think I can exchange it in the next couple of days if I wanted to.....all opinions are welcome.

Also, one of his points was that for maybe one dive a day, a 3 mil would be fine, but if you were to do two or more dives per day, you would welcome the additional protection by the third dive.....

Thank you

earlybird

I have dove Coz many times, all different times of the year and have never had the need for 5ml. Usually a shortie, skin or 3ml at the most. Water temp there ranges from about 77 to 85. Can't speak for Hawaii, but the 3 mil should work fine there also.

Did they have a 3 in stock? If they do and you haven't used the 5 take it back. Just out of curiosity, did you ask the salesperson if he/she has ever been to Coz or Hawaii?

Hope this helps

ID

I would have to agree with the words spoken prior, a 5 is way warm for COZ. and do as ID wrote

good luck

I don't know conversion from degrees F to C, but if
you do this may help. I have dived in both PNG and
the Solomon Islands in 29 - 30 degrees celcius in a
3ml and was very comfortable. In Australia, I dive
in water between 15 and 23 celcius in a 5ml (at the
lower end of the scale I also wear a 3ml vest & hood).
I still get cold!

Hope this helps.

Kate

If you plan to dive only in warm climates then take it back and take the 3mm suit...if you plan to dive in some colder areas i suggest to keep both suits in order to feel confortable almost everywhere...

I understand that this is a matter of budget and this is why I will buy one 5mm suit with different pants and jacket in order to remove the jacket when i feel hot..

Manogr

Thank you all for your replies.....I am going to bring it back and get the 3 mil.....that is what my instinct said, but the sales guy (he is the owner and has dived everywhere) pushed the 3mil.....I think he has a lot of women always saying they are too cold.....it was an expert opinion vs my gut instinct.....

I'm exchanging.....I've dove in cold water and then I just rent a farmer john, dble 7 mil......but most of my diving is in the beautiful, turquoise tropical stuff, too good to beat.

Thanks.

earlybird

Hi Earlybird

I tend to agree with the majority opinion here. My wife does tend to dive cold. Instead of getting her a thicker wetsuit, we got her an O'Neill hood. Problem solved! Something to think about anyway.

Say, what's this I hear about you and a worm?

Ken

Sounds like the 3-mil will cover most of your dive profiles.

But I can offer this bit of suggestion. If you are diving in an area where a bit more neoprene makes sense, try out one of the 2-mil hooded vests from DiversDirect.com. They are easy to don/doff and the hood helps retain heat like a cap on a cold winter day.

Plus they're only $30!

I own one of these and when added to my 3-mil, I can usually hit the colder spots of the Texas lakes with no problem.

Earlybird,

I concur with those who advise exchanging the 5 mm for a 3 mm. My wife tends to chill more easily than I and she has been comfortable throughout the Caribbean with a 3 mm suit.

However, if you are especially cold-natured, give some thought to Texas Mike's hooded vest suggestion. The hooded vest doesn't take much room in the dive bag, and if you happen to get cold it'll be worth five times the price!

Enjoy.

Warren

Thanks again all of you.

Exchanging for a 3 mil and buying a hood is what I plan on doing....I'm on my way now!!!

:- ) Yup, the earlybird gets the worm!!!!

earlybird

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom