584 dives on my Cobalt and ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While this thread confirms my own experiences with Atomic's excellent service, especially with regards to the Cobalt, it also highlights an ongoing problem with the Cobalt--namely, the terrible firmware update process. On the Mac side, Lion has been out for ages, so long it's already been replaced by Mountain Lion, but the Cobalt's firmware updater still isn't compatable. On the Windoze side, there is a different set of complications that seems to lead to a lot of failed update attempts. Ironic, given that the brilliant U/I of the Cobalt itself is one of its biggest selling points :wink:

I think a PM to RonR on here has been able to ressurect many a bricked Cobalt, but the firmware updater issue is a blot on an otherwise great dive computer and Atomic's service/support. Hope you guys get it cleared up soon.

My initial issue with bricking my cobalt, was due to a corrupted driver install as I was unable to sync my dive logs either, after a reinstall it was fine.

I have been able to successfully update my cobalt on multiple computers and windows operating system versions without issue.

I love my cobalt compared to my buddies computers, I just wish Atomic offered some sort of cage for protection as the rubber and plastic scratches easily on rocks and what not, even when you try your best to secure it and protect it from damage.

Can't wait for the next version, hopefully it will have bluetooth 4.0 for syncing and support multiple wireless tank transmitters.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

584 dives in a year? You must be bouncing for a dive boat somewhere.

I agree that the firmware update is an issue. They are definitely aware of the issue and are working to fix it (especially for us Mac users). Ryan and Adan got me fixed up when I managed to brick mine with just four dives on it. (Thanks guys!)

At any rate, just don't mess with the firmware until atomic aquatics gives us the green light.

At any rate, just don't mess with the firmware until atomic aquatics gives us the green light.

This. Still have one Cobalt for the woman/as a back-up computer and I'll happily live with the one weird thing in its current firmware (all sim dives showing total run time of 216 minutes) until there's a reliable Lion updater available.

Thanks Everyone....We are aware of the Firmware issues.....I believe RonR has spoken with a few of you about this and if any of you need to speak with Adan, our Cobalt Guru, just give us a call 714-375-1433 or toll free 888-270-8595. We can help walk you through anything or answer any of your questions!

Dr. Lecter-Are diving for Kaimana Divers? I worked boats on Maui for ten years....man, I wish I was there right now!

Ryan
Atomic

Ryan: nope, just moved out to Oahu and have been diving with Kaimana's club. Can't say enough good things about Gabe, Drew & Co.

We are making some progress with the Mac firmware updater, and have a version now that appears to work on a variety of systems- though there are still quite a few to test, and right now it can only be run from the command line. From all the reports I've gotten, the latest version of the Windows firmware updater works very well, but you do need to manually remove the old drivers first if you had an earlier version installed.

I think Dr. Lecter may have the prize for the most dives on a Cobalt.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom